London SE1 community website

Val Shawcross

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 5 of 10
Friday 9 April 2010 8.27pm
In all the inner cities where there is a Labour or liberal Democrat council, the poverty, housing problems, crime and antisocial behaviour and unemployment is entrenched. Has anyone else noticed this correlation and why do people keep voting them back time and time again when they never seem to solve the problems.

Simon Hughes has been the MP here for over 20 years, it would be unusual if he hadn't done a lot of things for lots of people. he has the money, the power and the resources. Val Shawcross has been an elected member for 9 years, she also has a well oiled machine and if she wants to cross to the house it is a small step across Simon Hughes.

Gary, you and I are underdogs, ordinary people who have put our heads above the parapet because we feel so passionately about the inequalities and complacency around us. We will get shot down - how dare us disturb the status quo. We are neither famous, powerful or entranched, and neither do we have the decades of earned loyalty. We are ordinary But ordinary people will wake up - one day - but it will be a long march.

Loanna Morrison
Conservative Parliamentary Candidate
bermondsey & Old Southwark
Friday 9 April 2010 9.28pm
First off, Loanna, thank you for posting here. Having lived in Tottenham for much of the 1990s, where the Tory candidate wanted to engage with the constituency so much didn't even turn up for hustings or leaflet, it makes a nice change.

I don't care whether you are famous or powerful, nor how many tranches you've got.

The reason I will not vote for you or Mr Bland is because you are Tories and I remember the 1980s when I had to share ancient schoolbooks in large classes in schools with outside toilets because your party cared so much about ordinary people it didn't invest in our schools. Under a new Tory government, I expect the same to happen to bail out your friends in the City. Of course, even though we're all in it together (c. G Osborne), this won't happen to the schools your party's leadership send their children to - just ours.

I remember your Dame Shirley Porter who's solution to social problems in her council was to illegally decant working people to poorer authorities. I see something of a similar nature happening in Hammersmith & Fulham today.

Wasn't the 'right to buy' policy of your party the one that started to undermine social housing, leading to the near impossibility of decent, working people getting decent council housing?

And I remember your party abolishing London-wide government, under-investing in and privatising the public transport system to the point that it became dangerous and unreliable. More recently, your Tory mayor and his transport puppet have abandoned the cross-river tram and delayed the E&C regeneration - two things that would have sparked huge improvements in the area. But that doesn't matter, does it? Only common people use public transport.

So, rather than parade your perceived 'victim' status, putting in the hours until you get a crack at a seat you stand a chance of winning, please tell us this:

What will the next Tory government do to address the social ills of Southwark you identified in your post?
Zoe
Friday 9 April 2010 10.51pm
I find your and Gary Bland's hostility to critisism rather unpleasant, and your attacks on Val Shawcross and Simon Hughes really unwarranted. They are both nice people, particularly for politicians.

I think you could learn something from them, one of which is to be a bit nicer to people and to show respect for your political opposition.

Is this the true face of the Tories?
Friday 9 April 2010 11.09pm
loannaflex wrote:
In all the inner cities where there is a Labour or liberal Democrat council, the poverty, housing problems, crime and antisocial behaviour and unemployment is entrenched. Has anyone else noticed this correlation and why do people keep voting them back time and time again when they never seem to solve the problems.

Oh come off it. You've risen far enough up the ranks to be a candidate, you understand that cause and effect doesn't work that way round. Have you noticed that safe Conservative seats tend to have a lot of fields in them? Conservative Councils must be great for farmers. Ah, right, it's the old 'class-based voting' thing going on.

That aside, some inner cities have progressed hugely under Labour Councils / Governments. Leeds, the nearest big city to where I grew up, is one example. Manchester has been completely turned around. There's a lot to criticise in both cases (as there is for Lib Dem Liverpool) but it's hard to argue nothing changed.

Of course the problems of the big estates are hard to solve - places like Newham will import poverty even if they help their existing residents, just because of the way our housing economy is structured. The Conservatives have controlled some big cities for a little while now - Birmingham probably the largest. So, what innovative answers have they found to the problems of multiple deprivation in that city's most challenging areas, and why have Councils of other parties not done the same?
Saturday 10 April 2010 9.35am
Rambling Phil wrote:
First off, Loanna, thank you for posting here. Having lived in Tottenham for much of the 1990s, where the Tory candidate wanted to engage with the constituency so much didn't even turn up for hustings or leaflet, it makes a nice change.
I don't care whether you are famous or powerful, nor how many tranches you've got.

The reason I will not vote for you or Mr Bland is because you are Tories and I remember the 1980s when I had to share ancient schoolbooks in large classes in schools with outside toilets because your party cared so much about ordinary people it didn't invest in our schools. Under a new Tory government, I expect the same to happen to bail out your friends in the City. Of course, even though we're all in it together (c. G Osborne), this won't happen to the schools your party's leadership send their children to - just ours.

I remember your Dame Shirley Porter who's solution to social problems in her council was to illegally decant working people to poorer authorities. I see something of a similar nature happening in Hammersmith & Fulham today.

Wasn't the 'right to buy' policy of your party the one that started to undermine social housing, leading to the near impossibility of decent, working people getting decent council housing?

And I remember your party abolishing London-wide government, under-investing in and privatising the public transport system to the point that it became dangerous and unreliable. More recently, your Tory mayor and his transport puppet have abandoned the cross-river tram and delayed the E&C regeneration - two things that would have sparked huge improvements in the area. But that doesn't matter, does it? Only common people use public transport.

So, rather than parade your perceived 'victim' status, putting in the hours until you get a crack at a seat you stand a chance of winning, please tell us this:

What will the next Tory government do to address the social ills of Southwark you identified in your post?

sounds like a very good case being made to vote tory! as for the 80s being so bad a good proportion of the problems were caused by the do-nothing sit back and decline attitude of british govts of BOTH persuasions in the 70s
Saturday 10 April 2010 11.24am
Just got my polling card in the post
Your Polling Station will be:
John Harvard Library Hall

Didn't know JH had a hall!

I'm voting for Simon Hughes (again).
Saturday 10 April 2010 11.51am
does any of the parties have the balls for zero tolerance policing?

do any of the parties have an exact and positive answer to unemployment.

do any of the parties have an answer on how to get the UK making products and exporting again.

which party can sort out the education system ( whats left of it) so that kids actually have more ambition than a job at starbucks.

and lastly , which party will realise if they screw with the city too much , the city will leave. ( hedge funds, investment groups and some departments of major investment banks are already moving out. )

I know some of the questions are generalisations, but im sure they get my message across

If I could recieve at least one straight and direct answer from a politician, i would be very surprised.

phil
Sunday 11 April 2010 12.29pm
Val Shawcross's team tried to barge their way into my building yesterday, it was totally out of order. I happened to have a visitor at the same time and they came in behind him at the front door, then tried to put a foot in the inner door to get to all the flats. He told them off, and I went down and did the same. **** cheek.
Sunday 11 April 2010 1.29pm
Just recived my polling card I voting simon Hughes also!
Sunday 11 April 2010 6.34pm
its going to be hughes by a mile...no doubt the labour back room boys are already lining up another seat for val...somewhere in Derby? Tyneside? The falklands?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 5 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions