London SE1 community website

Val Shawcross

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 6 of 10
Sunday 11 April 2010 8.47pm
Andrew H wrote:
Val Shawcross's team tried to barge their way into my building yesterday, it was totally out of order. I happened to have a visitor at the same time and they came in behind him at the front door, then tried to put a foot in the inner door to get to all the flats. He told them off, and I went down and did the same. **** cheek.

Of course, half the building will feel the same way, and the other half will, on election day, say "Well nobody came round to ask for my vote this time, they're obviously not interested in us".

Interestingly this general principle has, in the US, been debated right up to the Supreme Court, which has essentially found so far that the right to free speech "wins", up to the front door of the individual residence.
Monday 12 April 2010 10.46am
Andrew H wrote:
Val Shawcross's team tried to barge their way into my building yesterday,.... F****ng cheek.
My sympathies. But does it really require such bad language?

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 12 April 2010 11.32am
"Interestingly this general principle has, in the US, been debated right up to the Supreme Court, which has essentially found so far that the right to free speech "wins", up to the front door of the individual residence."

Guess the secret is not to open your door! But in all seriousness I would regard my front door as the communal entrance to my block and if someone has gained entry by following someone else in, then I cant see how that person should have 'free speech' in my communal hallway surely?

I have to say what annoys me more is when these politicians dump loads of their leaflets on the floor, without even being bothered to put them through letterboxes!
Monday 12 April 2010 11.33am
Ivanhoe wrote:
Andrew H wrote:
Val Shawcross's team tried to barge their way into my building yesterday,.... F****ng cheek.
My sympathies. But does it really require such bad language?
Seconded.
Monday 12 April 2010 12.12pm
beingjdc wrote:
Interestingly this general principle has, in the US, been debated right up to the Supreme Court, which has essentially found so far that the right to free speech "wins", up to the front door of the individual residence.

Interestingly, we are not in the US! I think that here we already go too far in what is allowed in the name of free speech.
Monday 12 April 2010 12.15pm
Tuesday 13 April 2010 10.31am
JonR wrote:
beingjdc - having just moved to Lewisham, I went to their council website, and downloaded a form, filled it in, and posted it back. maybe this is possible for Southwark, and you wouldn't have to wait for it to turn up in the post.
... I've just checked their website, they won't send out the forms electronically, you have to get one posted, but you can send it back electronically, either by fax, or email, so as long as you fill it in quickly when you get it and send it back, you might get it back in time, otherwise they'll have to vote at their previous address.

Visit the site http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk run by the Electoral Commission. You can download a form there, and return it to the address given for Southwark.
Tuesday 13 April 2010 10.55am
truthmonkey wrote:
Visit the site http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk run by the Electoral Commission. You can download a form there, and return it to the address given for Southwark.

Thanks. This is basically what I have had to do, but I really wanted a household form, not a series of individual forms. There seems to be no way of getting one of those (after my second request for a household form Southwark posted me a single individual form). So I have got two forms for my housemates to return - I am still entirely convinced that this will see Southwark assume new people have moved in, and remove me from the electoral register...
Tuesday 13 April 2010 12.37pm
beingjdc wrote:
but I really wanted a household form, not a series of individual forms.

The "household" form is only available at renewal time. When you want to register someone new, this has to be done individually. It is a bit of a pain, but initial registration needs to be individual for each person - you could fill in the address details and photocopy though before adding each name and signature.

beingjdc wrote:
I am still entirely convinced that this will see Southwark assume new people have moved in, and remove me from the electoral register...

You will only be removed from the register if you notify the council you have moved out, or a new borough you have moved to notifies them you have moved out (this is with your permission - there is a tick-box on the form to have your old borogh notified). You will not be removed just because other people are added. This is why, when you get the renewal form, it sometimes contains previous residents if they didnt notify the council when they moved out.
Tuesday 13 April 2010 3.37pm
Well, the Tory manifesto was published today, so it's surely only a matter of time before we get the answers to the questions posed on page 5.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 6 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions