London SE1 community website

Val Shawcross

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 7 of 10
Tuesday 13 April 2010 3.27pm
truthmonkey wrote:
The "household" form is only available at renewal time. When you want to register someone new, this has to be done individually.

Thanks. That's a bit unhelpful, and it might have saved time if they had told me that, but fair enough.

Quote:
You will only be removed from the register if you notify the council you have moved out, or a new borough you have moved to notifies them you have moved out

Such was my understanding, but I managed to lose my vote in the 2004 Euro-elections by moving from one address to another within the same borough.
Wednesday 14 April 2010 10.21am
beingjdc wrote:
Such was my understanding, but I managed to lose my vote in the 2004 Euro-elections by moving from one address to another within the same borough.

Sorry to hear that. I'd recommend following up your forms with a quick call to the Electoral Registration Officer. An extra burden on you but it will ensure you are not disenfranchised at this critical time.

Elections and electoral registration
Tel: 020 7525 7373
electoralenquiries@southwark.gov.uk

Friday 16 April 2010 10.57am
OK - we've had a week since a number of people (including me) asked the Tory candidate what they were going to do for the constituency and we've had no answer. Perhaps that is an answer, but in the hope that there might be something more specific, I read this London SE1 News article.

I couldn't see anything specifically about the constituency in the four pledges, and it's mostly pretty woolly stuff.

"I will support hard working families" - how? Creation of family sized housing units in the borough? Better child-care facilities? Increases in the Nation Minimum Wage? No, apparently by keeping motgage rates low and raising the state (old age)pension - how many hard-working parents get that?

"I will fight for a common sense approach to housing..." - what's that then? More council housing? More security of tenure for private tenants? Who knows? And our candidate's not saying.

No policies on job creation. No word on how the local regeneration schemes might be helped. Nothing on public transport.

I've checked the constituency web-site and the candidate's personal web-site, and I'm no clearer.

Come on, Bermondsey Tories - I really want to know. Give us some detail. It should just be a five minute cut-and-paste job. Otherwise, it looks like you just don't care.
Friday 16 April 2010 4.12pm
Make your predictions:

Sunday 18 April 2010 11.10am
Hughes to Win, the question is by how much!
Monday 19 April 2010 5.47am
Hi Rambling Phil,

>"I will fight for a common sense approach to housing..." - what's that then? More council housing? More security of tenure for private tenants? Who knows? And our candidate's not saying.

Mr Bland on his site originally had that housing would not be given to anyone under 21 who fell pregnant and tied in getting housing after this dependent on education level. Those with degrees standing the highest chance of getting social housing, and better jobs.

I can only assume this position also includes other young people and 'big society' is not another guise for victimisation of the less fortunate in our society. Though as you said questions have not been answered including how they will deal with their responsibilities for young people coming out of care.

As Mr Bland has since recognised that children in the area are less likely to do well in school in effect they will be denied social housing, so no homes for children in the local area where their families are.

>"I will support hard working families" - how? Creation of family sized housing units in the borough? Better child-care facilities? Increases in the Nation Minimum Wage? No, apparently by keeping motgage rates low and raising the state (old age)pension - how many hard-working parents get that?

As they are not replying to questions, one can only make assumptions from what they say. So unless you have a mortgage or a pension you are not a hard working family.

So if you are a council tenant then you are what is wrong with the 'broken society'.

Perhaps one of our tory candidates will explain why I am wrong?
Monday 19 April 2010 10.19am
Hi dgeorgea

Thank you for your comments and your assumptions. Assumptions are dangerous and unless you know the facts please don't make assumptions or put words into my mouth are your thoughts not mine.

I have been reading peoples comments with great interest, especially when many comments have been really valid and constructive, but some comments have been so far out of context as to devalue the debate. Some are so one-sided as to be party political statements rather than constructive comments that make people question them.

In your response to, Rambling Phil, you have been confusing his response to the 4 Key Points given by Loanna Morrison who is a candidate for MP in Bermondsey & Old Southwark, with details on my website; please don't as it confuses matters.

A local councillor is not the same as a Member of Parliament. Most local councillors do not have an executive position therefore their role does not carry a salary; unlike an MP, it is a voluntary position. However, although a councillors role is as a volunteer it requires 30 to 40 hours of their own time every week of the year; not exactly part time.

I have no problems with you wanting to pick my views apart, but your comments are no better than Brown and Cameron having a constant dig at each other which is such a pain in the backside and resolves nothing. However, your digs can only be one-sided. Everyone I know wants this bickering to stop. How about saying, Mr Bland says in his website etc etc, but I believe etc etc. Then give a link to my website to show people that what you said hasn't been stated out of context or with bias. The easiest thing in the world is to take a pop at others but say nothing of value or constructive yourself.

If you are not already standing to be a councillor yourself why don't you stand up and put your head above the parapet? If you were once a councillor, come back. You demonstrate a passion, which is great, and a view of what the problems are in the borough, but don't be an armchair politician and be happy to make a dig at people who are actually trying to make a difference rather than making a difference yourself.

No one has all the answers, but there are some, like me, who are finding out just how many questions there are, and posing answers to some of them. The more I learn about the problems in the ward the more I learn the more I need to know - the issues are almost endless.

One more point I'd like to raise. In order for you to make your comments about my views you get to read them from my website. How many people who are already councillors have their own website? For the few that may have how many give their personal views rather than party-line comments? How many people running to be a councillor for the very first time have their own website, such as myself? I am not sure how many there are but there must be some. Most websites say very little which is typical of the typical MP website. I, on the other hand, give my views.

Gary

Gary Bland
http://www.garybland.org
Monday 19 April 2010 11.32am
Dear Gary

The point here for me is that in the first post on this thread you did not clearly say that you were standing for political office, yet you laid into people of other parties standing for election as MPs. All you did was to give a link to your website (well done, but I don't have obsessive click disorder). After all the issues with MPs expenses, I would have thought that you should realise that we, the public, want our elected officals (paid or otherwise) to be, and seen to be, above board. Instead, your first post came across as underhand in my view. You might have some great policies but that's not the way to get people to vote for you, especially when you criticize one of the more honest and hard working MPs!
Monday 19 April 2010 4.28pm
Hi Possel

Fair comments, although "laid in to" is a bit strong.

I believe the things I said were fair observations, especially about Ms Shawcross and her contribution in my particular constituency, which is Bermondsey & Old Southwark. I did not say she hasn't worked hard in the past, as for how successful her hard work has been in Bermondsey & Old Southwark, Croydon or other places she has been in, is another matter. My comments were very local and particular to Bermondsey & Old Southwark.

As for my comment about Simon Hughes, I do not deny he is probably the hardest working MP in the country, which I mentioned in a later email. But, in my opinion, he has not been effective in his constituency over the past 8 years, especially since he became a very busy LibDem MP with an executive role, because he travels across the UK and the world. In one of his most recent leaflets he promises to give everyone in the constituency, who wants one, an allotment. We would need to close all of the parkland.

Both of the comments are valid from my perspective, and many others who emailed me in private. MPs are there to be criticized, as are councillors, for not achieving what we as members of the general public expect from them, or what they promise to deliver to us. I would also agree that MP and councillor candidates should be questioned.

I did contact the SE1 websites administrator when I placed the comments to ensure I wasn't infringing any rules, and to ask him about the content of the email and about providing my website details at the bottom of the page, and he was happy for it to be online.

Having said the above in my defence, I can understand the reasons behind your comments, and I will endeavour to be more constructive than critical in any future comments. It's all a learning experience.

Take care

Gary

Gary Bland
http://www.garybland.org
Tuesday 20 April 2010 10.05pm
Gary the Lib dems in Southwark are a broad church your always welcome to get involved. We need hard working local residents to get involved, I believe you have a part to play. As for Simon not being local enough, the Conservative candidate has said regularly that we need a local MP who will be in the heart government, not sure your view on her on the government payroll?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 7 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions