London SE1 community website

The Goldsmith

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6
Saturday 3 June 2017 7.43pm
Maybe more that it never ever lasted very long. It's changed hands quite a few times and always looked empty whenever I past by.
Sunday 4 June 2017 4.46pm
Tolstoy wrote:
Maybe more that it never ever lasted very long. It's changed hands quite a few times and always looked empty whenever I past by.

It's just that you used the word "never". It was in the mid 90s up to the 00s, when I used it.

It's a funny thing, perhaps if these establishments never chased away the locals they would still be going concerns (fair enough there was a perfect storm against us). I walked past the Albert arms earlier, a pub I used to use and was made to feel quite unwelcome when it changed hands and was refurbished, I was obviously not alone because there was none of the old clientele left either, now boarded up. The old clientele could also be described as "bread and butter", or an income you could rely on.

These people are dumb, no one caused trouble and there could have been a happy medium, a coexistence, like the Angel Islington. It seemed to me that snobbery reigned.

Shame.
Sunday 4 June 2017 6.31pm
I arrived in the area back in '99, so I'm quoting a different period to you. So it was a successful pub back then?
Sunday 4 June 2017 8.06pm
Yes, used to get a few from the LFB next door and from Cable and Wireless plus the usuals. Often got people from the courts too, It was a good pub.

There were many locals back then that did a kind of pub circuit, you could set your watch by them, having a couple in each pub. Without harping back to a utopia, it was a community.
Monday 5 June 2017 2.07pm
I believe the reason the Albert Arms is boarded up at the moment is because there was a fire in there a few weeks ago and the builders are in sorting out the resulting issues.

Prior to that, whenever I popped in (once or twice a month), it looked busier than I've ever seen it.
Monday 5 June 2017 2.19pm
Rambling Phil wrote:
I believe the reason the Albert Arms is boarded up at the moment is because there was a fire in there a few weeks ago and the builders are in sorting out the resulting issues.
Prior to that, whenever I popped in (once or twice a month), it looked busier than I've ever seen it.

Fair enough Phil, I did walk past again this morning and they seemed to be decorating tin there.
Monday 5 June 2017 5.34pm
I know the team at Great Guns Social and I've been to some of their events before. I went to the Goldsmith last year when Diane was there and it had a great vibe and good food too, but I think this place will be very different. I heard they just hired a well-known General Manager and a local TV Chef who will curate their food offering. Sounds like fun and looks like fun, I got a sneak preview when the La Marzocco espresso machine was being carried through the front door last week!
Monday 12 June 2017 3.43pm
So I see it is reopening as Great Guns Social and not the Goldsmith?
Monday 12 June 2017 8.48pm
Juliette B wrote:
local TV Chef who will curate their food offering

I'm just trying to work out what that means.
Monday 12 June 2017 9.08pm
He'll allow you to look at the food and offer a critique of its aesthetic.

Or... a vicar will be on hand to offer a blessing.

You will however have to go elsewhere to eat.

As I understand it, the place is no longer open to the public?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions