London SE1 community website

Glass attack in Baltic restaurant

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Monday 19 April 2010 8.15pm
Sorry to hear about this Phil - hope you heal soon.

Susiq can I ask what happened in the Ring? I go there fairly frequently and apart from the odd bag theft have never seen any trouble.
Zoe
Monday 19 April 2010 9.52pm
I live opposite The Ring and there regularly seems to be a bit of trouble outside, which appears to be from those drinking there (though it's a busy pub and all pubs can attract trouble).

I've never noticed anything with Baltic and I'm quite suprised at what happened, it really doesn't seem that sort of place.
Tuesday 20 April 2010 10.28am
Hi Moira

The Ring incident! I went for a drink with my husband on Sunday 11th April at around 3.15 / 3.30. We were ordering our drinks when a young woman started shouting at another woman who was drinking a glass of wine. We assumed they were together and having a disagreement, but she then started screaming abuse at the barman whose girlfriend it transpired had been the initial target - anti-immigrant, obscenity strewn filth basically. We took our drinks and went as far away from her as possible in such a small pub. The barman kept asking her to stop and when the abuse kept coming he went to the door and asked her to leave. To say it was a red rag to a bull would be an understatement. She went ballistic. There were three other couples in the pub including us, one of them Spanish tourists eating Sunday lunch. Unfortunately for them they were closest to the action and the woman turned round from the bar, ran to their table, picked up the man's full pint and threw it over them and their meal. She then picked up the lady's full glass of red wine and threw it in an arc so that it showered a second couple then us. At the end of the arc she let the glass go and it smashed into my legs and shattered around my feet. She then ran out of the pub leaving mayhem behind. It was extremely unpleasant and left me shaking at the thought of what she could have done. Had she decided to smash a glass someone's face she could have done because it all happened so quickly - despite this rather lengthy explanation. I don't think the barman really new how to handle the situation which didn't help, but that said how do you deal with someone who appears to be totally irrational and just out to cause trouble? We have no idea what started it - she seemed to come in looking for a fight. We left almost immediately because the atmosphere was so awful and I thought she'd be back. She was walking up and down The Cut when we left accosting anyone who was unlucky enough to catch her eye.
Tuesday 20 April 2010 10.04pm
I am the owner of Baltic restaurant and I would to clarify a few points made in this discussion:-

Firstly, I deeply regret and am very sorry for any injury caused during the fight last Saturday. This is the first incident of this type at the restaurant since we opened nearly 10 years ago. We never have any trouble with drunken and violent behaviour and we will take all possible steps to prevent it in the future.

Secondly, my manager on duty that night called the Police immediately the fight started and thereafter 2 more times. The police took twenty minutes to arrive due to incidents elsewhere.This is a matter of record.

Thirdly, We do not know the Polish men who took part in the fight except that one of them was/is the boyfriend of a waitress who worked here more than six years ago. They parked their car at the back entrance to the restaurant and tried to come in that way. They were refused and told to walk round to the front.(this is on tape). After the fight they left by the back door and quite rightly none of my staff tried to prevent them as I will not have them put in harms way.

We have co-operated fully with the Police and will help them in any way we can.

I have emailed Mr Hardwick and offered to meet him to discuss the matter. I am awaiting his reply.
Tuesday 20 April 2010 11.35pm
Probably not the smartest thing to mention the guys name.
Wednesday 21 April 2010 12.03am
Suziq, that sounds absolutely horrible and really scary. Hope you feel ok now.
Wednesday 21 April 2010 9.26am
Suzieq, your ordeal in the rings sounds like a real nutjob, very lucky it wasnt worse.

I have received email from Baltic owner as he mentions above, just reading it now and thinking of a response.

I do wonder what drunken behavior he refers to as I dont think the polish guys were drunk. and having only finished work myself 20 mins before getting to baltic, i certainly wasnt drunk.

anyway. the swelling just about gone, i have had loads of well wishers dropping in or emailing me ( thanks to you all ).
This has certainly made me think more about personal safety when out and about. I have always been a "it wont happen to me" person. how wrong was I !

cheers
phil
Wednesday 21 April 2010 12.07pm
Thanks for the nice message Auntie Pat. I'm fine apart from a couple of very nasty bruises on my legs from the glass. What I keep thinking is what a horrible memory for the Spanish couple to take home from their holiday. I wish I'd spoken to them now, but we just wanted to get out of the pub.
Thursday 22 April 2010 8.53am
if the attacker is/was the boyfriend of a previous waitress. i am sure the Baltic should have pased this,and her name, on to the police.. they could see if they can trace him through her. it may be a long shot as she may not be still be in the country but i would have thought its worth a try.

it seems odd that the Baltic are 'aware' who this guy is and still recognise him after six years...
Thursday 22 April 2010 10.45am
Susieq this sounds horrible but I agree with Phil, I think this is a one off.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions