London SE1 community website

Bermondsey school closed due to volcanic ash

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Jac
Thursday 22 April 2010 8.45am
f-ayo wrote:
It must be equally frustrating for the school to replace missing teachers, a negative attitude from parents is unhelpful when the whole situation is beyond the schools control, as far as mixing classes how would feel with your 3-4 year old being in a class of 10-11 year olds and then having class sizes exceeding government guide-lines and being in a class of 40 plus? SCHOOLS ARE PLACES OF LEARNING AND NOT A CHILD MINDING OPTION/ CONVENIENCE FOR WORKING MUMS! I am in the first instance a mother and secondly a teacher, I have every sympathy for my collegues that are stuck in foriegn lands.

It is precisely because schools are a place of learning that it is essential that they do not close unless it is absolutely necessary. In fact one could argue that if they were just a child minding option then it wouldn't matter if they closed. Surely some learning in a larger than normal class is better than no learning at all. I didn't buy that line when schools were closing for snow and i dont buy it now.

Like you I have every sympathy for those stuck abroad through no fault of their own. I also sympathize with those companies that now have to cope with lack if staff for the same reason having their problem compounded by even more staff absent because of school closure.

I sympathise most with those children who are missing classes before important exams. (which I note is not the case in the southwark school). I have a child doing GSCEs in a school not in southwark which remains open to all children despite a significant staff absence but if his and others school can manage. it is only reasonable to ask " why cant others?" If my son was missing lessons at this stage of his schooling (or any other for that matter)i would be furious not because I had to child mind but because he was missing valuable learning time.
Thursday 22 April 2010 12.09pm
I'm pretty sure all the private schools will have managed to open - they usually manage to do so in the snow too.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions