London SE1 community website

Smoking outside London Bridge and surrounding streets

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 6 of 10
Thursday 29 April 2010 11.32am
Lol....a good bit of shooting of all miscreants should make excellent TV....better than tonight's tosh with Cameron, Brown and Clegg...how Rollerball would that be?
Thursday 29 April 2010 12.30pm
So that's why there's all those butts beneath the butt boxes, how squalid - those people need help, still if the shop is closed, it beats going 'cold turkey'.
Thursday 29 April 2010 1.01pm
Between my office and Borough market I smoke at least 3 cigarettes each time I walk up there. Just a shame it's all second hand. Send smokers back inside I say.
Today I counted over 100 butts down Borough High St.
Where are the wardens and their fines when you need them.
Feeling extra bitter as it's not long since my 47 yr old friend died of lung cancer.
Thursday 29 April 2010 1.34pm
Sidi wrote:
So I am still a non-smoker and followed this special discussion. Everyone was blaming everyone, but I have a question now to all of you.
What would be the solution to solve the problem? Where shall the smokers be allowed to smoke?

Very telling that this discussion has gone on for another two pages and no one else seems to have suggested an answer Sidi
Thursday 29 April 2010 2.39pm
Make areas outside where they can smoke...there's one outside Guy's Hospital...we have one outside our office...beyond simple but the council would need to get involved....which would no doubt complicate it with their canvassing and beauracratic fumbling that would be involved.

Or smokers could just step back from the main walkways and not smoke on the move...even simpler.
Thursday 29 April 2010 5.30pm
janefs wrote:
dgeorgea wrote:
It would be nice if those stubbies were more easily available...I for one would not mind paying for them in the local shop where I buy my tobacco.

...those from gated communities who spend thousands for their properties...believe the residents are so far below them they are beneath contempt.

The stubbi is easily available to buy - on line. Perhaps instead of moaning, you could even be a little more pro-active and suggest to your local shop owner that they consider stocking them?

What is your evidence for the sweeping generalisation that is your concluding statement?

(For the sake of clarification I do not smoke, do not live in a gated community, nor do I live on a local council estate.)

So even when we are/trying to be considerate we are a bunch of moaners?

My evidence is the amount of dog mess we get on grassed areas from dog walkers from two local gated communities, plus the respsonses they give to residents and staff when challenged. My favourite being 'who gives a s**t its only a council estate'
Thursday 29 April 2010 5.54pm
scamp wrote:
Sidi wrote:
So I am still a non-smoker and followed this special discussion. Everyone was blaming everyone, but I have a question now to all of you.
What would be the solution to solve the problem? Where shall the smokers be allowed to smoke?

Very telling that this discussion has gone on for another two pages and no one else seems to have suggested an answer Sidi

This topic could run and run, neither faction will ever see the other's side, or want to, perhaps it would be better to forget it and start another thread.
Out of interest I do not smoke, I do not care if others do, but when I see them skulking outside their offices or in those dreadful smoke filled boxes at airports I get the same feeling that arises when I see a homeless person checking out refuse bins for a half eaten burger.
There but for the grace of God.......
Thursday 29 April 2010 5.56pm
scamp wrote:
Sidi wrote:

Well moaning is one thing which everyone (including me!) is good in it. Bringing solutions which is acceptable and fair to everyone is not so easy. But you mentioned it already scamp, tolerance this is also what I would say.
Thursday 29 April 2010 7.00pm
scamp wrote:
Come on, smoking on the street means nothing more than a passing unpleasant smell - one amongst many in our densely populated city.

So...as a non-smoker myself, you'd have no objection to me pis*ing in your drinking water. Surely, nothing more than a passing unpleasant smell.
Thursday 29 April 2010 7.11pm
dgeorgea wrote:

So even when we are/trying to be considerate we are a bunch of moaners?

On reading your post, in your case yes, IMO. Read my comment; I did not make a generalised observation. As your carefully explained caring and considerate attitude didn't appear to extend to finding a source of stubbis, here's one.

Re the issue (no pun intended) of dog mess, you are unfortunate in suffering from such unpleasant neighbours.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 6 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions