London SE1 community website

Tabard St by St George the Martyr

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next
Current: 10 of 13
Sunday 22 May 2011 7.33pm
I can only imagin what Mr Mcnally garden looks like?
Tuesday 31 May 2011 1.10pm
Perhaps Tabard St could be dug up and replaced with something similar to Flat Iron Sq?

Its such a shame Tabard St has become a patchwork of different materials. It is a very busy thouroughfare and therefore deserves a good design with quality workmanship.
Tuesday 31 May 2011 1.28pm
Its certainly a better finish, just a tad dull.
Wednesday 1 June 2011 5.42pm
Yes Tabard St should get the same attention, and be finished to a similar specification and standard as Flat Iron Square.
At the moment it is a disaster.
Thursday 2 June 2011 8.04am
Good somebody share my same view... last time I said something about this place Janefs told me to stop moaning and go myself do something...

I think they work over works already done on and on.. this can keep busy contractors in a crunch time, but could this money be sent for make a place more pleasant instead of repeating the same work on and on... (badly every time).
Thursday 2 June 2011 5.00pm
orione wrote:
Good somebody share my same view... last time I said something about this place Janefs told me to stop moaning and go myself do something...

Orione, this is what I wrote in response to some of your comments: From your various posts, I guess you live near the Tabard Steet end of Long Lane. So, if you have some time to spare, why not (apart from having a moan-up} contribute positively to your local area - guerilla gardening, picking up trash, some constructive ideas???.

Yet again, you've neglected to read previous posts. I suggested you could make a positive contribution, and in your responding post you asked me how you could contribute, so I gave you some clues. Now you snipe about that.

If you had bothered to read some of the original posts you'll also see my own and others views on the standard of work in Tabard Street, most along similar lines.
Thursday 2 June 2011 7.19pm
Janefs I work everyday in a job that addresses community issues, I attend several community meeting organised by local groups.. If I have a free hour can I go for a run and expect that somebody else does his job? Like putting better benches, less ugly Tarmac and to avoid repeatedly drilling on the same site ? But rather plan things? In that case I am happy to rise the issue but I cannot find other time to fix everything. I read the posts. But if you read mine you snapped because I said that the tulips were dying. That was to describe the desolation of that square not to say that flowers should last forever. I think the effort of those like you trying to render that place greener is heroic. Unfortunately Looking at the way that place is managed and destroyed on and on it looks also hopeless. But your effort is goldworth anyway! And I mean it.
Wednesday 8 June 2011 1.54pm
I agree that we can all take some responsibility for our local area - litter picking, wedding etc.

I took some photos though, to show that tarmac repairs and poor work on the original surface are significant blights to this area. I also wanted people who may not pass Tabard Street regularly to see what their taxes have been spent on.

Wednesday 8 June 2011 3.22pm
It does look dreadful, but I hope this is a temporary finish and perhaps the tarmac is being left to settle before being re-surfaced to blend in with the rest? Without anyone who actually knows what's planned posting here, we can only guess.

Personally, I do not feel any enthusiasm for money being spent adding a statue of Charles Dickens, if that is a serious proposal. There are sufficient reminders of him and his work in various local place and street names. This is despite the fact that the man himself made it clear he did not wish for a memorial or monument - something his descendents in particular seem more than happy to overlook.
Wednesday 15 June 2011 3.54pm
The pictures show what a mess Tabard St is and a dissapoitment to all that live in the area. I have mentioned before other areas which have been improved to a higher standard.
It is a waste of money to make amends but I really think the money will be worth spending as Tabard St is in such a prominent area of Borough.
Maybe the contractors who were awarded the work should pay for their poor workmanship!
Pages:  PreviousFirst...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next
Current: 10 of 13

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions