London SE1 community website

Tabard St by St George the Martyr

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next
Current: 11 of 13
Wednesday 15 June 2011 5.39pm
I hope I won't be accused of letting cats out of bags prematurely, but I understand that there are proposals, combining several particpants, to re-work the entire scheme, and that the original contractors will contribute to the costs.

I don't think I've grasped the wrong end of the stick. However, it would be useful to get confirmation from the 'horses mouth', to confirm or deny....even if the details are not yet resolved. Meanwhile, perhaps we should all keep the grumbles on hold because it seems positive action may be in the pipeline......
Wednesday 15 June 2011 8.37pm
now THAT is good news...we can point the finger of blame for original disaster later, but someone MUST take responsibility
Wednesday 15 June 2011 9.44pm
Hi Janefs, do you remember when you snapped at orione for pointing that the place looked horrible and scruffy and messed up by contractors?

Looks like many of us think similarly at the moment... after a close look of the place.

I am happy.

To be fair it is me writing from my GF account..
Thursday 16 June 2011 10.03am
I hope you are right Janefs.
Maybe with a Statue of Charlie Dickens or one of his characters
:)
Thursday 16 June 2011 3.21pm
BoroughSimon wrote:
I hope you are right Janefs.
Maybe with a Statue of Charlie Dickens or one of his characters
:)

I hope so too, because I've been as disappointed with the current state of the place as anyone else.

Can't agree about the statue though, that would be too obvious, and against CD's wishes. Hopefully the artist's competition will produce something interesting. I can only say with certainty it's the nature of such things that whatever transpires won't please everybody..
Thursday 16 June 2011 4.22pm
At the moment it looks a total mess and a waste of money. Easily the worst refurbishment of a streetscape I've ever seen.
Thursday 16 June 2011 4.53pm
You have to wonder whether the contractors have ever done this kind of work before.
Sunday 19 June 2011 8.21am
At least the pigeons seem to be enjoying the 'piazza'.
Saturday 25 June 2011 2.05pm
Please.
Whoever designed 'Flat Iron Square' space,
Which looks great.
Sort the Tabard st disaster area out now. ?
Friday 16 September 2011 11.18am
I was going to start this post by saying "I am so happy other people agree with me" but I'm not. I agree that this is the most horrible, scrappy spot and even though I work in the area, I'd still rather walk to any other park in the area than spend time here. That probably sounds harsh but I love working in this area and often walk around Little Dorrit Court and Red Cross Way, taking photos of the historical tidbits. I think what I dislike the most about the Tabard Street area is the gravel. I saw a little girl fall over the other day an scrape her knees. It looked so sore and reminded me of just how unsuitable this area is for both adults and children.

St George's Church is so important historically and they deserve more. History and literature lovers and fans of Charles Dickens deserve more. Clean this area up Southwark Council! You paid for the work.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next
Current: 11 of 13

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions