London SE1 community website

Tabard St by St George the Martyr

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 13
ADT
Friday 11 June 2010 10.05am
To be fair, it is no longer tarmac outside the Roebuck and it's now quite a pleasing space with the new plantings and so on. Piazza is perhaps a bit ambitious nonetheless!
Friday 11 June 2010 8.33pm
I've just walked past Tabard St and taken a look and can't believe that is the final finish. It looks like a temporary surface to me, perhaps prior to the planting of the beds.
Saturday 12 June 2010 10.01pm
ADT wrote:
To be fair, it is no longer tarmac outside the Roebuck and it's now quite a pleasing space with the new plantings and so on. Piazza is perhaps a bit ambitious nonetheless!
Yes. It's a handy extension to the roebuck's outdoor space
...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 15 June 2010 12.42pm
Perhaps Councillor McNally can update us on this - is this the finished site or not ? We were previously told that the final top coating would not be black tarmac
Tuesday 15 June 2010 2.08pm
As someone who's only used the space by St George's as a pedestrian cut-through, my view is that:

- there was never any problem with the old layout. The pavements were perfectly wide enough, and there was scarcely any traffic on the small stretch of road. It wasn't decorative in any way, but it did what pavements do; allowed people to walk in a straight line from A to B. I've never felt the slightest desire to linger in the patch of land between Long Lane and BHS, and if I did, I'd linger in the park which already exists.

- the new layout, with the odd patchwork of cobbled bits, trees, bike parking stands, etc, means that you have to take a snaky path around the various obstacles, or, as you can see people are already doing, if you want to walk straight from A to B then you walk over the planted areas and make them look a mess. It's mildly inconvenient when pushing a pram. I suspect it would be even more so if you're in a wheelchair or using some other mobility aid.

If there's some landscaping money burning a hole in Sthk Council's pocket, I'd much rather they'd spent it on improving the park which is already there.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 16 June 2010 4.53pm
The black tarmac which is seemingly going to have another surface applied to it is already higher than the stone work in some places. Surely the new surface should butt up to the stones? Unless the tarmac is going to settle several centimetres, of course ...
Wednesday 16 June 2010 5.20pm
could we have angled benches like the tube stations; that might deter then being used as sleeping platforms.
Wednesday 16 June 2010 8.38pm
never see such a dumb-ass job. who is responsible for this mess?
Sunday 20 June 2010 11.55am
Had a close look at this yesterday. The job that's been done is really poor. Botched in some shockingly amateurish ways - eg the wildly skew-whiff bike stands - and what's with the transplanting of a completely knackered old bench? Does anyone know when this job is going to be finessed, if at all?
Sunday 20 June 2010 4.13pm
I agree it looks like it was done by a bunch of amateurs. That was a really useful road that made the junction of Borough High Street and Gt Dover Street a little safer for traffic and pedestrians. Apart from removing it as a through road they now have made it look like the set for a derelict waste site!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 13

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions