London SE1 community website

Tabard St by St George the Martyr

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 13
Sunday 20 June 2010 5.35pm
You think Southwark Council understands a word like 'finesse', Longlaner?
Sunday 20 June 2010 7.59pm
i have seen more attractive spaces in eastern europe
Tuesday 22 June 2010 9.19am
I went to have a look at this yesterday after reading the forum.

It really is as bad as people say. If it wasn't for the fact the tarmac looked new, you'd think it was a derelict site.
I agree with earlier posts, I can't see how they expect to lay another layer of material on top of this uneven tarmac. The tarmac is as high as the stones that border the mud and weeds surrounding the trees. There is also no drainage - this 'plaza' is going to turn into a big puddle the first time it rains.

It is such a contrast to the area the other side of the church with beautiful well maintained trees and decent paving, and of course nothing like the professional paving laid at Trinity Street - or recently at Great Suffolk Street or Redcross Way for that matter. Considering the high quality of recent work in the area it is hard to understand what happened here.

Cllr Tim McNally really needs to update his earlier remarks.
Tuesday 22 June 2010 12.53pm
ssimps01 wrote:
- this 'plaza' is going to turn into a big puddle the first time it rains

It already has done, in recent weeks.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 22 June 2010 8.29pm
The aforementioned councillor appears to be off the radar these days
Tuesday 22 June 2010 9.32pm
He might be on holiday or possibly buried under the tarmac. I too would like to know the story behind this, it does seem out of step with much else that has been done in the area.
Wednesday 23 June 2010 9.16am
One can only hope it's an interim measure to stop traffic cutting through off Long Lane in the mornings, and that the space will be properly landscaped when Borough High Street is evenutally upgraded.
Wednesday 23 June 2010 9.24am
Borough High St is being upgraded? I was beginning to think all the scaffolding was a permanent fixture!
Wednesday 23 June 2010 10.28am
I agree with Tolstoy. It does seem out of step with other works... so what's the story?
Wednesday 23 June 2010 3.54pm
who knows...and who is accountable for this mess?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 13

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions