London SE1 community website

Tabard St by St George the Martyr

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 13
Thursday 8 July 2010 4.57pm
Very average!
Not impressed at all.
Cobblestones or paving slabs would have looked much nicer.
Thursday 8 July 2010 5.53pm
Are there any rubbish bins or will people just leave their food containers on the benches to blow about? Bit optimistic to expect the lunchtime crowd to take their rubbish with them.
Friday 9 July 2010 5.54am
cheap job done badly
Friday 9 July 2010 5.42pm
I have just seen Tabard St and feel the recently completed works are particularly poor compared to other newly paved areas around the Borough.
eg.. Redcross way.
Snowsfield..
The Roebuck Public House.
The cross roads at Webber St/Southwark Bridge Rd.

These areas look far superior and have been finished to a higher standard clearly by workmen who care. I can only assume that the new coucil will be looking for some form of compensation and a way of repairing the shoddy workmanship?

The areas around the trees are in desperate need of weeding already. The Square seems to be gathering rubbish and therefore attract undesirables.

It seems such a shame this has been allowed to go ahead being next to such a prominent building as St George The Martyr.
Thursday 22 July 2010 12.19pm
Aah, I have grown to love the sound of road drills in the morning...

So, the Tabard Street 'piazza' is currently undergoing another apocalypse, as the red & white barriers are back and patches of the recently 'finished' surface are being smashed up. Is this all part of the cunning plan, or the result of a cock-up? In the last few days, I have seen several chaps with ID badges inspecting bits of the surface and taking photos. They're back today, but unwilling to answer a query about what is happening.

Meanwhile at the base of one of the trees, some geraniums have been planted - guerrilla gardening or part of the 'design'? Other patches remain bare of anything apart from some rubbish and the odd weed that escaped the chemicals applied recently, the earth steadily being compacted by pedestrians and cyclists taking the shortest route through the space.

I hope the modifications / repairs improve it, because the standard of finish is poor, the benches look cheap, and the strategy of their placing isn't exactly clear. Even the cycle rails still have the over-painted bits of protective palstic on the signs left on them, overpainted with black paint.

Change of political colour at the council getting in the way of sorting this out?
Thursday 22 July 2010 1.40pm
and the benches...look like cheap leftovers from the B&Q sale...and the wood left unfinished...what cowboy is responsible for this botched job? and...more important who paid for it?? methinks...us!
Monday 2 August 2010 9.08pm
Its looking fabulous now its been dug up again and patched with tarmac ?
Weeds seem to be doing marvelously !
Monday 9 August 2010 3.14pm
janefs wrote:
Aah, I have grown to love the sound of road drills in the morning...
So, the Tabard Street 'piazza' is currently undergoing another apocalypse, as the red & white barriers are back and patches of the recently 'finished' surface are being smashed up. Is this all part of the cunning plan, or the result of a cock-up?

For their latest trick, contractors are currently digging up the most recently laid patches of tarmac, other new areas of previously 'finished' surface are being smashed up.

My theory, for what it's worth, is that this is a training / practice patch for the boroughs hard landscaping contractors, and on this evidence they are struggling to pass their practical exam.

Come on Tim McNally, 'Southwark Council' you've posted on this forum recently, someone communicate with those of us who have to use this assualt course about what the hell is going on.
Monday 9 August 2010 3.18pm
I saw it today, for the first time since it was 'finished'. What a hideous mess - and after all that time! Whoever 'signed-off' on it, from the Council, should be demoted to tea-boy.
Monday 9 August 2010 5.05pm
The scheme is not signed off and the contractor is being made to correct things.

I also today obtained confirmation that there will be no signoff until there has been a walkabout/site visit by myself, officers and some of the key stakeholders.

Today's update from the officer is:

"I have been informed by Andres, who is managing the build stage of the project, that the channels that have been created will be covered with the final surface on Sunday. The surface will be the same as it appeared before this issue arose. During the build stage of projects there are times when snagging works are required to ensure that the final outcome is satisfactory for all concerned. Although i understand your frustrations, we will ensure that the contractors will complete these necessary works to our satisfaction and i am confident that in the long run this will benefit the scheme and everyone's enjoyment of the space"

regards

Tim

Cllr Tim McNally
LibDem Member for Chaucer Ward
Chair, Environment & Transport Scrutiny
Southwark Council
07903 967 809 mobile
020 7525 7157 office
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 13

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions