London SE1 community website

Tabard St by St George the Martyr

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 8 of 13
Tuesday 12 April 2011 9.02am
Is is right that a statue of Charles Dickens is going to be put here.? Which I think would be fab. We dont seem to have any statues other than the war memorial by the Slug and lettuce.
Maybe then the area will be paved and land scaped properly. Flower beds with some sort of wall or fence.
Tuesday 12 April 2011 9.47am
Hi guys do you know how they got away with those cheap benches they have put all around the square.. ? It is crazy. They will be eaten by the weather in few months!! They are not even varnished!! Is that a joke or is for real? Do they like to do works on and on?
Tuesday 12 April 2011 9.52am
BoroughSimon wrote:
Is is right that a statue of Charles Dickens is going to be put here.? Which I think would be fab. We dont seem to have any statues other than the war memorial by the Slug and lettuce.
Maybe then the area will be paved and land scaped properly. Flower beds with some sort of wall or fence.

Dream on. Apparently 155,000 has been spent (wasted, imo) on the space already.
Tuesday 12 April 2011 10.16am
The nasty B&Q benches are the icing on the cake...any thoughts/excuses from our councillors on this? (cups hand to ear) ...i thought not
Tuesday 12 April 2011 11.15am
Why nobody has formed any group to monitor the works and check the plan application? I think those benches just say: please winos (with all respect...) come and sleep on it!!

I think they should change those nasty and cheap planks for proper benches like anywhere across London.

That place could be so beautiful.
Tuesday 12 April 2011 5.01pm
Glad the tulips are being enjoyed at Tabard Street. They were a tentative step by locals, a councillor and myself under the volunteering banner of "Pimp Your Pavement". We went ahead knowing full well that any gardening might soon be destroyed by the rectification of Conway's bodging here, so our efforts were minimal. I've returned to weed and mulch a few times. The results from minimal effort, with no cost to the public purse, provide promise for what could yet be done there were the infrastructure and hard landscaping improved... as has been achieved (with many thanks to Clare Armstrong's imagination and dillgence with a watering can) at Trinity Street piazza by the Robuck and in many of my guerrilla gardens.

If you'd like a tour of more tulip planting around SE1 and many other delights (please stop to gawk at the huge clumps of glorious guerrilla irises on a Westminster Bridge Road traffic island in bloom at the moment) then meet me for a "Guide To Guerrilla Gardens" this Sunday 17 April at 2pm, a 5 fund raising 90 minute walk starting at the centre of the Elephant & Castle north roundabout.

Richard

"anwa Thursday 7 April 2011 11.46am
Now that spring is here, and there are lovely, bright tulips helping to brighten up the Tabard Street 'piazza', it would be great if Councillor McNally could give us an update on when the resurfacing work is due to be completed!"
Tuesday 12 April 2011 7.08pm
In 1869, a year before Charles Dickens died, he wrote in his will that he wanted to be remembered for his work alone. No plaques, no statues, "no monument memorial or testimonial whatever". So IMO while a statue of a Dickens character would be fine, a statue of the author would not. Having said which, given the recession, I'll be happy to settle for the tulips. Thanks, Perronetonian.
Sunday 24 April 2011 8.19pm
I have it on good authority that major drainage works are imminent and the piazza will soon be dug up again.

The good news is that the remedial works can then get under way and the space should begin to look better in June or July.

Look out for more planting, too, funded by the community council.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 25 April 2011 8.25am
My giddy aunt James, is there no co-hesion (dunno if thats the right word James!) between the utility services and the Council?
Thursday 5 May 2011 9.21am
Has anybody noticed that they are drilling the whole square (again) .... and placed a patchy Tarmac to fill the wholes? Tulips all died as well... What the he'll are these people doing? These things are paid with our money, this is outrageous! this is pure abuse of a public space.
Current: 8 of 13

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions