London SE1 community website

Tabard St by St George the Martyr

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 9 of 13
Thursday 5 May 2011 4.12pm
orione wrote:
Has anybody noticed that they are drilling the whole square (again) .... and placed a patchy Tarmac to fill the wholes? Tulips all died as well... What the he'll are these people doing?

orione, re your first point, may I suggest you read Jame's post of the 24th April?

On your second point, the death of the tulips is a natural, seasonal thing. The good spring weather brought them out a bit early (bright red ones earlier than the 'black' ones) and they do not last long, but look fantastic for a short while. A few blooms were deliberately decapitated, but their demise has mainly been down tough conditions and nature taking it's course, not the result of a great conspiracy.

As one of those who helped to plant the things in the first place, I'm glad we made the effort and I hope any re-modelling of the area is an improvement. One suggestion I have is that the benches near the grass areas are relocated away from them because people using the benches have worn away the grass edges with their feet and created unsightly bare patches.
Thursday 5 May 2011 4.41pm
I read it now.. still It looks like in our area they like to do things over and over. This is clearly a huge waste of money..
This means also disorganisation in planning strategies..
A public space is for people to use it, not for contractors to keep going on with works.

Am I allowed to believe this or should I read some old post to change my mind on this?

I don't understand why you feel so touched by the flowers issue. I wasn't saying that flowers shouldn't die, but if you drill with a 60 cm wide drill you may help them to die earlier. Specially if like happened this morning they were drilling 50 cm away from a new planted tree.

What is wrong in this?
Thursday 5 May 2011 4.48pm
Nature is a pretty tough beast and will not likely be deterred by works being carried out, however it does come across as a complete shambles of a contract.
Thursday 5 May 2011 6.03pm
If you say so.. At present that place does look like a picture taken from the movie "the day after" ....
Thursday 5 May 2011 6.26pm
orione wrote:
I read it now.. still It looks like in our area they like to do things over and over. This is clearly a huge waste of money..
This means also disorganisation in planning strategies..
A public space is for people to use it, not for contractors to keep going on with works.

Am I allowed to believe this or should I read some old post to change my mind on this?

Your choice, but at least you read some of the history.

orione wrote:
I don't understand why you feel so touched by the flowers issue. I wasn't saying that flowers shouldn't die, but if you drill with a 60 cm wide drill you may help them to die earlier. Specially if like happened this morning they were drilling 50 cm away from a new planted tree.
What is wrong in this?

You posted referencing the tulips - I posted a response to that as a staightforward explanation - and from that you may have learned something about nature, or maybe not. You clearly don't care to accept my response.

I had no idea from your post you were also referring to a '60cm drill'. There was possibly a lot wrong with that, and Conway (the contractors) have not been conspicuously sensitive in their conduct 'on-site' so far, so we shall see.

More damage was caused by the deliberate snapping of one of the newly planted trees a few weeks ago - did you not notice that?
Thursday 5 May 2011 6.47pm
I did! In fact saw, I was shocked that after several months of havoc and after several winos had given up the occupation, people had started enjoying that space... As soon as this happened: bang! Works and lost plants.. If you are a resident there are several reasons for being upset: from deturpation of the area to waste of money..
Anyway I got the lesson over the life cycle of tulips, I hope you understand that the problem is another One. I am curious to leave work to know the faith of that tree.. Fingers crossed.
Thursday 5 May 2011 8.20pm
orione wrote:
Anyway I got the lesson over the life cycle of tulips, I hope you understand that the problem is another One.

which is..?

From your various posts, I guess you live near the Tabard Steet end of Long Lane. So, if you have some time to spare, why not (apart from having a moan-up} contribute positively to your local area - guerilla gardening, picking up trash, some constructive ideas???
Friday 6 May 2011 8.34am
Ok, I left the army ages ago but I would love to help the "guerrilla"..It is for a good cause. Do you have a contact?
Friday 6 May 2011 2.05pm
orione wrote:
Ok, I left the army ages ago but I would love to help the "guerrilla"..It is for a good cause. Do you have a contact?

Suggest you read the post immediately following yours written on the 12th April. Maybe contact the writer for further info? Alternatively search online for 'guerrilla gardening'.
Sunday 22 May 2011 7.29pm
Poor workmanship. I can only hope the person who is responsible for the works is sacked .
Current: 9 of 13

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions