London SE1 community website

Been to vote!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Thursday 6 May 2010 5.41pm
Yes, I was asked by lady for my voter number after voting at the Tower Bridge Primary School. She did not ask me how I voted - I would not have told her. She told me it was for count of folks who had voted. I didn't think at the time that maybe I can be identified by third parties using the Electoral Roll and my voter number - ah well, who cares.
Thursday 6 May 2010 5.47pm
Wow - that teller broke almost every rule going. They should not have asked you for your card on the way in, they should not have asked how you voted, they should not have given you a leaflet.

Parties usually have tellers (who do ask for your polling card - on the way out!) to find out who has voted so they can try to get supporters who have not yet voted to the polls. You have no obligation to hand them your polling card or tell them your registration number. They have no official status relating to the election.
Thursday 6 May 2010 5.56pm
I got a YELLOW LibDems poll like card through the letterbox yesterday. It said Quote: 'Thank you for your support. Please hand this card to the LibDem rep at the polling station'. I assume it's because they mark you down as having voted so they can concentrate in the last few hours contacting the no-shows.
Thursday 6 May 2010 10.09pm
Neil wrote:
Wow - that teller broke almost every rule going. They should not have asked you for your card on the way in, they should not have asked how you voted, they should not have given you a leaflet.
Parties usually have tellers (who do ask for your polling card - on the way out!) to find out who has voted so they can try to get supporters who have not yet voted to the polls. You have no obligation to hand them your polling card or tell them your registration number. They have no official status relating to the election.

Neil, you are right regarding the fact that an official party teller should not ask how you intend to or have voted. They can ask for the registration number on your card, which is then used to check that you have voted (not who you voted for) so that you will not then be called to remind you to vote. It can be handled as an entry or exit poll, and you are not obliged to provide any information if you chose not to. If asked, the tellers should explain why the information is being collected.
Friday 7 May 2010 6.47am
So, if all the voters who were excluded from voting last night even if they were at Polling stations in good time, demanded their right as British Citizens to have their say in running the country, can they demand a recount?

and what about the 16 year olds who voted after receiving voting cards?
Jac
Friday 7 May 2010 7.34am
when we went to vote last night about 6.45pm there was a bit of a queue and for the first 5 or more minutes no one came in or out of the polling station, by which time the queue had quadrupled. Once inside the clerks behind the desk did not seem to quite know what they were doing. Mr Jac had voted and then had to wait whilst I stood in front of the desk having had my poling card checked and my number recorded waiting for the ballot paper to be given to me. In all from first handing in my polling card to walking out it took a good 3 minutes (it took me less than 20 seconds to fill in the ballot papers and post in the boxes) If that was repeated for all voters and at other polling stations no wonder there were long queues and some very angry (non)voters.
Friday 7 May 2010 9.14am
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/4527
As Simon Hughes had 8530 more votes than his nearest rival, we can safely say that the combined votes of all forum members had no affect on the outcome. But it was fun and no doubt we'll be doing it all again in less than 6 months.
Friday 7 May 2010 9.21am
Can't believe it - I am waking up the morning after the Election and unelected Brown is STILL Prime Minister!!!!
Friday 7 May 2010 9.36am
When will he have the good grace to go...........when?
Friday 7 May 2010 10.03am
Boss St Bloke wrote:
Can't believe it - I am waking up the morning after the Election and unelected Brown is STILL Prime Minister!!!!

Gordon Brown has been elected a number of times. If he had failed to be elected then he wouldnt be Prime Minister for much longer (though strangely he would still be PM this morning - I dont think the Queen is entertaining any visitors until this afternoon).
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions