London SE1 community website

Dogs

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7
Saturday 26 June 2010 5.22pm
There's nothing ungrown-up about suggesting the solution might be something other than all dogs being kept on a lead in all the parks and beaches across the country. Quite an unnecessary insult.
Saturday 26 June 2010 5.30pm
An excellent but naive response.

I hope and pray (sincerely) that you, your children or someone close to you does not get attacked by an "obedient ball playing" dog off the lead.
Saturday 26 June 2010 7.05pm
What should be "under control" is who holds what breed of dog. There are too many morons out there who shouldn't be allowed to keep any dogs of any kind. We spend quite some time in parks and there have been too many situations with dodgy dogs and even dodgier owners, so I have been forced to think what I would do if one of my kids were attacked. Some of my solutions are unprintable.
Zoe
Saturday 26 June 2010 8.09pm
Boss St Bloke wrote:
An excellent but naive response.
I hope and pray (sincerely) that you, your children or someone close to you does not get attacked by an "obedient ball playing" dog off the lead.

I don't think it's fair to say dogs must be kept on the lead all the time. There are millions of dogs in the UK, and a very small number of dog attacks, suggesting that all dogs are vicous is just nonsense. It might sell newspapers but doesn't make it so.

You could equally say that you sincerley hope that someone close to him isn't knocked down and killed by a "law abiding" car driver. It doesn't make car drivers all evil or mean we should ban them.

As this story suggests, vicous dogs are a bigger problem for other dog owners, and really it's the owner to blame.
Saturday 26 June 2010 8.46pm
Zoe wrote:
As this story suggests, vicous dogs are a bigger problem for other dog owners, and really it's the owner to blame.

I agree 100%
Monday 28 June 2010 7.11pm
"Some of you have lost the point". You wonder why this dangerous problem is increasing in the Uk. Why is British culture obsessed with "Bully dogs"? Battersea dogs home is crammed with these dangerous Staffordshire Bull Terriers. The types of people who own these dogs are no different than their horrible animals. Council Estates need to ban people from owning Bully Breeds....Staffs, Pits, Mastiffs, Rockweillers basically any macho type thug dog. The public and their loving pets, need to be safe and its up to the government to make sure of that. Germany, Italy, Canada and many parts of America have banned the Pit Bull Breed." Why cant England". The Pit Bull does come under the dangerous dog act in the UK, but the police turn a blind eye because there are so many of them. Everyone MUST read this really interesting article from the Telegraph online about Pit Bulls in London. It will give you goose bumps. There is alot of vicious dog fighting going on behind closed doors in Council flats all over London.
Yes, "London has been listed as the 10 most dangerous city in the world". You can read the statistics on the internet.
Every 52 minutes there is a knife crime committed and recently there is a rise in post code gang crime in the East End. 10 years ago it was safe but not now. The police walk around like "school marms", armed with pepper spray and a little bat for protection, while gangs have guns, knives and Pit Bulls. There was a female police officer recently who was savaged by a Pit Bull in Brixton. The police arent even safe against these inbred thugs. Everyone needs to email their MPs and the Prime Minister about taking immediate action.
Monday 28 June 2010 7.34pm
Everyone must read
"Armed with teeth, the problem with pit bulls" Telegraph online.

A real eye opener about London and what goes on behind closed doors on council estates. Last year the police have created a special police squad of dangerous dog experts.

The councils are partly at fault for not evicting people with dangerous dogs.
It should be prohibited to have a Staff, Rockweiller, Mastiff or any other Pit Bull type dog off the lead without a muzzle. If you look in the parks, its always infested with Staff owners that never have their dogs on leads and they never pickup the crap.
These dogs become victims by being in the wrong hands. Its so sad.

People need to be more active in reporting crime. There needs to be more of a community culture, where you can talk to your neighbours and everyone looks out for eachother. London has become a boiling pot for hostility and fear and this can fire back in a very lethal way. So many wise people are moving out of polluted, dangerous London, escaping to the peaceful, countryside. "Lets make London a safer place"
Write to your MP and Mayor. There is even a direct email for the Prime Minister.
Wednesday 30 June 2010 7.08am
Links and references, please, Ms Reeve - particularly for Yes, "London has been listed as the 10 most dangerous city in the world". You can read the statistics on the internet. ".

Who by? By what criteria? It's certainly not for violent death.
Wednesday 30 June 2010 9.56am
Just want to correct the error by Ms Reeve above about the types of dogs she wants banned. Staffordshire bull terriers (like most 'bull breeds') are not inherently dangerous dogs and should not be confused with Pit Bulls, which are another breed entirely (noting some confusion over how to accurately classify such breeds) and are currently banned in the UK. And I certainly do not recall a mastiff attack on anyone in living memory, mainly because whilst they are huge dogs they are rare, normally gentle and require considerable funds to keep. I will not engage in a debate about the rather flawed dangerous dogs legislation here but want to stress that any dog can be dangerous in the wrong hands, just like so many things in life (cars, cricket bats etc) but this does not mean they should be banned. 'Banning' things may be the zeitgeist but some of us (myself included) want to resist further attempts to legislate our every move and instead focus on encouraging a society in which care for each other is the norm. The problem is almost always the owner, not the dog and in my opinion efforts need to be targeted at dog welfare (by dealing with bad owners) rather than reactionary efforts to ban particular breeds on spurious grounds.

Dan
Wednesday 30 June 2010 10.09pm
bdim wrote:
Just want to correct the error by Ms Reeve above about the types of dogs she wants banned. Staffordshire bull terriers (like most 'bull breeds') are not inherently dangerous dogs and should not be confused with Pit Bulls, which are another breed entirely (noting some confusion over how to accurately classify such breeds) and are currently banned in the UK. And I certainly do not recall a mastiff attack on anyone in living memory, mainly because whilst they are huge dogs they are rare, normally gentle and require considerable funds to keep. I will not engage in a debate about the rather flawed dangerous dogs legislation here but want to stress that any dog can be dangerous in the wrong hands, just like so many things in life (cars, cricket bats etc) but this does not mean they should be banned. 'Banning' things may be the zeitgeist but some of us (myself included) want to resist further attempts to legislate our every move and instead focus on encouraging a society in which care for each other is the norm. The problem is almost always the owner, not the dog and in my opinion efforts need to be targeted at dog welfare (by dealing with bad owners) rather than reactionary efforts to ban particular breeds on spurious grounds.
Dan

Although I agree that the problem will almost always be the owner, I think you are bagatellising the threat that mastiffs and Staffordshire bull terriers pose. The fact that for both breeds care and proper training is IMPERATIVE says enough. To equate dogs to cars an cricket bats doesn't add up either. Especially mastiffs can have a will of their own, whereas a cars or bats are entirely dependent on who is handling them. The fact that the owner of the dog that started this thread didn't seem to care one iota about the behaviour of his dog makes a case for dogs that are known to pose a threat to be banned, as well as owners to be carefully screened before being allowed to own any dogs.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions