London SE1 community website

Inconsiderate Neighbours in Leathermarket Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Sunday 20 June 2010 10.06am
It seems to me that since so much of how we live now is based on the abstract of providing a service rather than the physical bond of manufacturing and concomitant loss of social capital that engenders, it should come as no surprise that 'Public Relations' has very little to do with the public as a group of individuals merely that of 'being present' before a public, who often have to suffer it grudgingly.

Recently the company I work for suffered a server failure and 70% of the workforce were suddenly at a loss what to do; being part of a team that makes things the rest of us carried on without a care. What became interesting is how the artificial demarcation of job responsibilities between the first group broke down as they sought out real things they could be doing as opposed to merely tapping at keypads and shifting a piece of plastic from ear to ear, with the result they found themselves helping the production department sat around a huge table as a true collective of individuals bonded by mutual sympathies towards a common physical goal and enjoying the experience, something I like to refer to as 'leakage'. These are people normally reluctant to even talk to each other outside of their respective job 'roles'. Lose sight of human 'leakage' and you end up with barely functioning boxes with are easily labeled but poorly used.

I think there's some kind of message in there but I may have blurred the edges a little.

Eyeing Spa Way's site they don't come across as those likely to steal your children and put them in pies for evil mothers to eat;

"Prior to our move to Bermondsey we spent 5 years in Southwark and coped with the odd mugging, pilfering and the occasional pellet through the window. As a team we thought a Christmas tree in the community playground opposite would look nice - for one day.

We also thought the lighting-up ceremony, carol singing and mince pies would be scorned. How wrong we were. We discovered we had lovely and appreciative neighbours. And the tree - it twinkled untouched until twelth-night."

Though I'm intrigued to see that Bermondsey is not apparently in Southwark.
Wednesday 27 October 2010 1.45pm
The council has refused listed building consent for the pink paint:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/4897

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 27 October 2010 3.36pm
Quote:
Council vetoes "insensitive" pink paint in Leathermarket Street.
Council has been sent six formal objections from local residents

Amazing how so few objections can influence a colour scheme. How many local residents were unconcerned about the colour and didn't have their sensitivities assaulted?
Thursday 28 October 2010 8.39pm
The pink gloss is an absolute shocker. Mum joked that Katie Price has moved to Leathermarket Street! Well, it did give her a laugh post chemotherapy.
Thursday 4 November 2010 12.33am
The paint colour remains painful, although now dulled, but it was the owner's contemptuous and patronising attitude to neighbours which really galvanised opposition. For a PR company whose crisis communications tips included 'don't create enemies' it's certainly an interesting strategy to adopt in its own back yard.
Thursday 4 November 2010 4.25am
I doubt they ever take much notice of the bumf they propagate. Its all just smoke and mirrors.
Friday 4 March 2011 11.38am
This one looks set to run and run ... the matter has now gone to appeal

Friday 4 March 2011 8.31pm
The Spa Way has also become Spider PR...
Wednesday 6 July 2011 10.07am
A planning inspector has dismissed an appeal against refusal of listed building consent:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/5388

Wednesday 6 July 2011 10.47am
I am delighted - I cringe, every time I walk past, several times a day. It has taken a very long time - I hope it doesn't take so long for it to be repainted by the 'PR' company!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions