London SE1 community website

Begging

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Monday 21 June 2010 7.00pm
I popped into Greggs bakery TBR last week and the police were quizzing him outside.The sentiments of the locals inside being "abaht time n'all" a chap in the queue confirmed his slot machine habit as described.
Monday 21 June 2010 7.42pm
This lad has been begging on TBR every day for the last couple of weeks - today included.

He is unthreatening and appears to have learning difficulties. I am sad to hear he is using slot machines.

He seems vulnerable and I would like to help... would a call to the social services (from me) be of any help to him or would it make his problems worse?
Monday 21 June 2010 7.44pm
This lad has been begging on TBR every day for the last couple of weeks - today included.

He seems unthreatening and appears to have learning difficulties, but he does seem pretty desperate. I am sad to hear he is using slot machines.

He seems vulnerable and I would like to help... would a call to the social services (from me) be of any help to him or would it make his problems worse?
boo
Tuesday 22 June 2010 4.17pm
I have encountered that boy several times, both weekdays and weekends. He's either hanging around outside the new tesco, barclays cash machine or the bus stop. It's a shame that he's using the money for slot machines as I did contemplate giving him some money. Now that I know, don't think I will.

He seems very young and it's sad to see him wasting his life like this.
Tuesday 22 June 2010 5.07pm
I don't think the fact that he's spending the money on slot machines automatically means one shouldn't feel sorry for him - if he has learning difficulties it may be an indication that he's actually pretty vulnerable and needs support. You'd hope the police who questioned him would be competent to decide whether or not they ought to contact social services but I doubt if that's necessarily the case. So perhaps BenC's suggestion is a good one?
Tuesday 22 June 2010 5.13pm
I've decided that I am going to contact Social Services to explore what help can be given to him.

Incidentally, for the first time in a while, he's not been around today.
Tuesday 22 June 2010 8.30pm
Nice one Ben! I too wanted to make contact with either the local PCSO or Social services. It is a shame cos he does clearly need help but I am not sure where or who to turn to. Its bad enough if he is doing this to feed an addiction but for gambling this could escalate to something bigger possibly. To try and at least bring to the attention of someone might help. Lets see what happens.
Wednesday 23 June 2010 8.50am
he was around greggs yesterday tbr, so still around..

hope he gets some help
Wednesday 23 June 2010 10.31am
Really glad to hear it BenC. Let us know how you get on.
Wednesday 23 June 2010 10.49am
The Chinese lad seems to work the bus stops. I previously saw him at the bus top by Aldi on the Old Kent Road, but only last week saw him at the bus stop opposite Metro Central Heights. He is polite, and reasonably well-dressed, which ironically seems to mean that folks are more inlcined to give him money. That's interesting that he appears to have a fruit machine habit, because it did strike me as culturally unusual that a Chinese guy was begging for money.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions