London SE1 community website

Cycle Superhighway

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6
Tuesday 6 July 2010 10.24am
Ref. the above picture of cyclists on the road instead of the cycle lane. I know that spot, and I also do it every morning for the simple reason that the cycle lane abruptly stops due to the widening of the pavement for bus stop encrouching on the cycle lane. Those 250yards of lane are completely inefficient because it starts with the taxi repair garage parking all their cars on the cycle lane and then you have 50 yards of free cycle lane that ends with a bus stop. So you have no choice but to stay and cycle on the road.
Tuesday 6 July 2010 10.51am
And all drains and utility covers are in cycling lanes making them the bumpiest part of the road to cycle. So many reasons to have a single cycling lane in the centre of the road. Smooth, no parked cars, bus stops, loading areas to navigate. All lights could be suspended from buildings on wires and get rid of all the halfway stopping points for pedestrian crossings.
Tidy the roads up. Too much of the road surface is wasted and cluttered with 'furniture'
Tuesday 6 July 2010 8.32pm
Just found these videos

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Zoe
Tuesday 6 July 2010 9.34pm
Where is the E&C video starting from, does anyone know?

The SBR section has noticably more hazards on it, and what a fast cyclist, they were going faster that some of the cars!
Tuesday 6 July 2010 9.39pm
The E&C video starts on Newington Butts and turns left into Churchyard Row

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 6 July 2010 10.06pm
That manoeuvre where the cyclists goes past a car on its left - is that called 'undertaking'?
Zoe
Tuesday 6 July 2010 10.24pm
Really, I couldn't recognise it as Newington Butts at all, I shall have to get on my bike and cycle it!

I noticed they jumped the orange light at the junction with SBR/Southwark Street, I would have stopped there, in case I didn't make it across the junction quick enough, it's a big junction.
Wednesday 7 July 2010 8.33am
Zoe wrote:
I noticed they jumped the orange light at the junction with SBR/Southwark Street, I would have stopped there, in case I didn't make it across the junction quick enough, it's a big junction.

Interesting. I'd have stopped there because it was an orange light.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 7 July 2010 11.20am
Ivanhoe wrote:
Zoe wrote:

Interesting. I'd have stopped there because it was an orange light.

Thanks to James for embedding my videos.

I would have stopped at amber, but it would have meant that I would have stopped a few metres in front of the Advanced Stop Line. I decided to follow HC guidance ("You may go on only if the AMBER appears after you have crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to pull up might cause an accident"). FYI, the car behind me also went through the junction!
Zoe
Wednesday 7 July 2010 6.33pm
You are a very fast cyclist Origamist, I'm very impressed.

I'm suprised three cars didn't go through the orange light!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions