London SE1 community website

The Cut - New Shops

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Tuesday 13 July 2010 10.57pm
Holly wrote:
Oh I miss the pie and mash there. I heard its going to be a starbucks, maybe a rumour?
Everything's going to be a Starbucks eventually!
Zoe
Wednesday 14 July 2010 7.11am
I think around here everything's going to be an M&S eventually, they seem to be breeding.
Wednesday 14 July 2010 11.57am
Auntie Pat wrote:
Everything's going to be a Starbucks eventually!

Hopefully not, they are not doing too well:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-business/article-23854521-starbucks-loses-its-froth-as-uk-arm-losses-reach-pound-10m.do

Apparently they have even now unbranded cafes (Stealth Starbucks ) masquerading as private ones, as people won't use the brand.
Wednesday 14 July 2010 9.34pm
I fully expect the double premise to be another coffe/sandwich/takeaway/ready prepared food outlet maybe even a restaurant with license. I say that is what I expect because Waterloo Quarter seem intent on making The Cut a continental type eating area with pavement dining an essential part of that strategy hence the narrowing of a main road linking the A2 and A3 and the widening of the pavemnts for the use of the restaurants not for pedestrians. None of the "improvements" add to the convenience of local rate-paying residents although they do provide good seating for the drunken beggars. Jobs for locals? Let us know if you have one. The road improvements are ill-thought out and dangerous, vehicle damaging and noisy, the noise from vehicles traversing the speed tables must drive the residents on The Cut mad. But hey-ho that's the future cater for outsiders not the people who live here
Having vented my spleen over The Cut can anybody especially those from Lambeth council tell me the justification for giving the knitting shop on Lower Marsh a retail alcohol license. Do the knitting community need to get drunk to knit or is it a cunning way to become a bar because the council feel unable to challenge such a community?
Thursday 15 July 2010 7.41am
I heard them 2 shops converted into 1 are going to be a drive trough McDonalds.....

No honestly Pret look like steaming in there and trading blows with the 3 other Sandwich shops on The Cut.

I think to even up the street we need a good old burger and ribs American Restaurant, It would fit snugly into that Evans bike shop.
Thursday 15 July 2010 2.55pm
Thebunhouse wrote:
Having vented my spleen over The Cut can anybody especially those from Lambeth council tell me the justification for giving the knitting shop on Lower Marsh a retail alcohol license. Do the knitting community need to get drunk to knit or is it a cunning way to become a bar because the council feel unable to challenge such a community?

Iknit has had a license for some time, and I don't think it's been the cause of any rowdy behaviour (on a road which is mainly empty after 6pm anyway).

If you have a look in, you'll see that the shop is arranged around a central table/seating area, and you'll often find people spending the odd hour or so knitting in there. They also have more formal organised events, often in the evenings, where people gather there to knit and catch up over a drink.

There's a fridge in the back of the shop which has a range of soft drinks, and a handful of alcoholic drinks. It's hardly bacchanalian.

Why do you object to it so much? Why do you think the council would "feel unable to challenge such a community" (and, indeed, who are "such a community")?

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 15 July 2010 3.58pm
What does challenging a knitter involve?
Thursday 15 July 2010 4.18pm
I think that all you have to do is to ask them nicely.

Unless you mean "challenge" in the sense of give them a really hard pattern, with lots of colours and cables and whatnots.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 15 July 2010 5.21pm
re the remodelled Cut,

Just a couple of things.

The Cut isn't a main road joining the A2 and A3. It's a B-road and there aren't even any bus routes going down it. It might be an important link (hence being managed by TfL rather than the council), but it is a local shopping street, and has been for over a century. Given that, it would be nice to have a few more shops and fewer take-aways.

Only a minority of local residents have cars. Most of us aren't bothered that it's difficult to drive down. If driving through the neighbourhood is unpleasant, there are plenty of other roads you can drive your noisy and polluting machine down.

However, most of us do use the pavements, so making the pavements wider does help local residents.

There was extensive consultation before the last remodelling of the Cut and, at the meeting I attended, most people (although not all) wanted the street to be more pedestrian friendly.

Finally, I enjoy going out for an evening on the Cut, and would far rather do that than have to head into the West End.
Zoe
Thursday 15 July 2010 7.07pm
Completely agree Phil, The Cut is much nicer now.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions