London SE1 community website

The Crown Pub - Blackfriars - World Cup

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Tuesday 13 July 2010 6.50pm
The Crown Pub is a very nice pub indeed and i have visited the place in question that is not in doubt.

2 things have to be answered, If the world cup was such a great success in Phil's and his customers eyes surely there is room to relax the shirt issue that brought such a carnival atmosphre to the place.

Also why not open on weekends and use all that spanking new kitchen to treat the locals and their visiting familes to a real lovley Sunday roast?
I do not see the likes of the Stage Door or the Ring Pub struggling on Weekends.
Tuesday 13 July 2010 7.05pm
Im supprised the americans wanted to watch the footy in there with so many better places available like the Stage door...i went in The Crown years ago and never went back...the bells better and thats saying something!
Tuesday 13 July 2010 7.09pm
I'm not sure how long it is since you tried to go at the weekend, Windmill.

My first post made the point that the Crown, under Big Phil's management, does open at weekends. This is in contrast to the recent regimes since it stopped being a Websters pub.

I cited this as evidence that Big Phil, unlike the previous managers, does want trade other than the office workers.

I had a very good Sunday lunch in there the other week (with some other people who live nearby) and have been in on several occasions at the weekend.

I'll leave it to Phil to comment on his policies on tribal dress.
Tuesday 13 July 2010 7.21pm
I would love to go there and visit on a Sunday Are my 2 young kids allowed in?
Wednesday 14 July 2010 3.21pm
Wow
bit of chatter going on here

Holly , come and see us now, not sure how long since you visited but we are probably not as you remember.

Windmill kids are fine if you are in for lunch or dinner.

also we dont do cashmere but i do have some quite nice hobgoblin "lagerboy" t shirts at the mo
we also have corona shirts for those who love a bucket or 2

this sunday we have roast beef and lamb
as well as our regular "classics"

cheers
phil
Wednesday 4 August 2010 3.56pm
A quick update for those interested

2nd leg Bledisloe cup this Saturday
doors open 8am , rugby breakfast being served.

and the season finally gets underway with the community sheild on Sunday. Chelsea v Manchester Utd on HD screens

Roosters Ales on tap, food served 12-6 both days

cheers

phil
Wednesday 18 August 2010 11.00pm
Do we have to eat or can we just have a drink?
Thursday 19 August 2010 8.47am
Off course you can come in just for a drink, we have a large range of beers that seems to grow in choice every time I speak to the Reps

This saturday 3pm is South Africa v New Zealand
in the Tri Nations

we have buckets for 12, speights, steiny pure, macs gold, savanna, hunters gold

as well as all the usual drinks

we will show the chelsea match after the rugby as well.

come on down , it should be a good one

cheers
phil
Thursday 19 August 2010 1.34pm
Phil i was in your pub the day you took over, for my daily pint of shandy or two after work,something i've been doing for about fifteen years,it was clear to me that you were excited and i was excited for you.
The next time i came in and asked for my shandy you served me and then informed me that you were a "gastro pub now and people don't come in just for drinks" i had my works uniform on and was in no way soiled,i wouldn't get away with that at work.
Living in the area i have occaision to walk past the pub probably four to six times a day and i always have a look in,it has been clear to me that you do indeed have people in just for drinks.
I could only take from this that you didn't want local clientel in there.
I was greatly offended Phil.
Thursday 19 August 2010 1.58pm
born an bred wrote:
The next time i came in and asked for my shandy you served me and then informed me that you were a "gastro pub now and people don't come in just for drinks"

I wasn't there of course, but from a purely linguistic point of view that sentence is open to interpretation.

It could be taken as a promotion for the pub, i.e. telling you that they also do great food now and that, "people don't come in just for drinks". An additional service rather than a compulsory one.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions