London SE1 community website

The Crown Pub - Blackfriars - World Cup

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Thursday 19 August 2010 2.44pm
Stumpers!
you got me lost on that one

we serve drinks. our primary role is a pub
we also do great pub food.
your reason for visit can primarily be either.

we are pretty relaxed on dress codes, etc, but do draw the line on soiled work wear , steelcaps, etc

as for locals/non locals , i dont want to get into that arguement/conversation as I thinks its the biggest load of bollocks that is bought up far too often. We dont care where you are from, its the manner in which you act while here that matters.

on a sports note , crickets looking a closer match, Pak are 21 behind with 5 wickets in hand.
Eng need to pull finger out!

and 1 last little bit, I have just arranged for fresh essex coast oysters to be delivered tomorrow morning so if you are after an oyster fix, they will be on tomorrows menu.

cheers

phil
Thursday 19 August 2010 4.01pm
bigphil wrote:
as for locals/non locals , i dont want to get into that arguement/conversation as I thinks its the biggest load of bollocks that is bought up far too often. We dont care where you are from, its the manner in which you act while here that matters.

Errrr no need to swear on here.
Thursday 19 August 2010 7.02pm
I am a local. None of Big Phil's posts, from the first to the last, have ever enticed me to choose the Crown over any other local pub. Either he has (partially) achieved his (alleged) aim, or he should change his selling tactics as far as locals are concerned.
Thursday 19 August 2010 8.04pm
Well it was quite unambiguous to me,being there an' all that.
I also feel that there was something missing from "big Phil"s post,something like.."sorry you feel that way" or "i'm sorry you misinterpretated what i said,come in i'll make you welcome,"like i say i knew what he was saying to me.
By the way it was a gastro pub before the new management took over so he didn't really need to inform anyone as nothing had changed (alledgedly)

Rant over
Thursday 19 August 2010 10.54pm
The Pub has definatly changed since we took over, and no doubt depending on which side of the fence you sit. the change has been either for good or for bad.

we are happy with our progress, our offer and our pub.

I would say that we are not a "gastro" pub, nor are we a local boozer, we are somewhere inbetween.

I think we add a further Balance to this area as there are upmarket bars, neighbourhood pubs, and old school boozers in this area.

If i have offended anyone, I am surprised! It isnt intentional nor personal.

I would ask if you do have a gripe or a question, please come on in and have a chat. i'm sure a face to face conversation ( just like the good old days before internet)will help resolve any issues or answer any questions.

have a good evening all

cheers
phil
Friday 20 August 2010 5.31am
Is it really useful in this day and age to be talking of local vs non-local. I would have hoped society in general has moved on from such cosseted views and that people are far more open to embrace change and perceive difference as a positive marker of commitment to neighbourhood values. Where does one draw the line for 'local'? I live at Bankside so I guess if I wandered down the road to a pub in Blackfriars I'd be regarded as an 'outsider'?
Friday 20 August 2010 6.17am
Tolstoy,

I get the impression that it's not actually the number of yards away that some people care about, but whether you've always lived in the area, rather than actively choosing to commit your capital and time to the neighbourhood, and the amount of brightly coloured synthetic textiles you wear.
Friday 20 August 2010 6.44am
Fair point and an opinion I share. I accept that locals often feel ostracized in the very area they live and can certainly empathize with this and it isn't to be welcomed where it creates tension and a sense of 'them and us'. I just wish we could move on from this 'threat' and happily skip our way to a bright new tomorrow! Hey, its early, I'm still half asleep here.
Friday 20 August 2010 8.57am
In Total agreement with you Tolstoy
I am just irked that my place is used an an example of this as its so far from the truth.

Funnily enough , i was talking to my Dad this morning and he pointed out that my family has gravestones in our local church (Tallard bay, Kernow) dating back to 1730 and our name is mentioned in literature back into the 1600's.

while I may not be born & bred in SE1 , I would say due to my heritage and where my family are from, I am definatly local

But back to the point, as I said in a previous post. Its not where you are from that matters, Its the manner in which you act while here that matters.

coffees ready
I'm off
New Day

cheers

phil
Friday 20 August 2010 10.22am
And still no apology for swearing, how rude.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions