London SE1 community website

The Crown Pub - Blackfriars - World Cup

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Friday 20 August 2010 12.58pm
some people are never satisfied,
phil i would give up and not respond
Saturday 21 August 2010 6.33am
Well i have to say i'm struggling to think of a pub in the area that's run by a local person (maybe the Bell but no ta),it's really not the issue,i feel welcome in the Ring which is owned by a company and managed by a Pole,i feel welcome in the Prince William Henry which doesn't have a local in sight behind the bar,i could go on.
I'm unaware of this debate being an old one and that Phil has had to go over it time and time again,i was describing my experiance only(this is my 5th post on this site),but if it is an old chestnut then it would seem that a problem exists.
I do not have a problem with gastro pubs at all,i quite often partake,but with an open plan kitchen next to the bar The Crown does rather seem to be one.
Saturday 21 August 2010 7.56am
Tolstoy wrote:
Fair point and an opinion I share. I accept that locals often feel ostracized in the very area they live and can certainly empathize with this and it isn't to be welcomed where it creates tension and a sense of 'them and us'. I just wish we could move on from this 'threat' and happily skip our way to a bright new tomorrow! Hey, its early, I'm still half asleep here.

Tolstoy,the Lord Clyde is a pub with a healthy mix and is successful to boot,winning numerous awards.
Saturday 21 August 2010 7.37pm
born an bred wrote:

Tolstoy,the Lord Clyde is a pub with a healthy mix and is successful to boot,winning numerous awards.

Seconded, by me. Don't know about the awards, but it is a 'local' worth a visit for the relaxed ambience, warm welcome and good sturdy food. Beer is ok (but then, tastes are personal & I am picky - others will think it good).
Wednesday 25 August 2010 4.47am
Evening Standard pub of the year to name one,few years back mind.
Wednesday 25 August 2010 4.58am
I cannot let this post go without mentioning the Swan by Titan Arch (dark Alley) run by the people who had the Southwark Tavern for years and years, like the Clyde it's management are people that have been in the game all of their lives and no what they are doing (and thats not a referance to anyone else).
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions