London SE1 community website

Supermarkets near Elephant & Castle?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Saturday 17 July 2010 3.54pm
68 and 168 from E&C to Bloomsbury are what makes that Safeways convenient.

Can't vouch for the ones that would make the Finsbury Square one easy.
Saturday 17 July 2010 3.55pm
Damn. My roots are showing.

Waitrose, not Safeways.
Saturday 17 July 2010 4.58pm
Spurred by Phil's bus info I checked bus routes on line and discovered that the 133 goes from Elephant to Moorgate station, which is 100 metres south of Finsbury Sq. and approximately 8-10 minutes walk from Waitrose at Whitecross St.
Personally, I think that only a masochist, the truly dedicated, or someone with no other choice would want to travel anywhere by bus, let alone to a supermarket and back.
p.s. I am NOT, EMPHATICALLY NOT, just saying that because I am a black cab driver.
I live minutes from Bermondsey station in Jamaica Road, but regularly on weekends my wife and I take a leisurely walk to Butlers Wharf/Borough Market/Bermondsey St., have dinner, then walk it off by repeating the process back to chez Pepper.
On the return journey inclement weather will prompt me to raise my hand to a yellow light on a taxi's roof though, I will admit.
Saturday 17 July 2010 5.24pm
i find Ocado to be the best-stocked supermarket in SE1
Saturday 17 July 2010 6.13pm
Thanks for the hint, Tom. I had a suspicion the route would be something like that. I'm sticking with Bloomsbury because the 68 and 168 go past my flat.

You said you'd "not been on a bus for 25 years". They've changed a bit since then. Although I miss the conductors and the open platforms, the new buses are larger, so have bigger seats, wider staircases and more storage space (making shopping by easier). If you use a ruck-sack, carrying a big shop is easy and you get to strengthen your stomach and core muscles.

According to this link http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jun/30/london-air-quality-premature-deaths, more than 4,000 people a year die prematurely each year because of air pollution.

I know that some vehicles cause more of this pollution than others, but I do feel that every time someone gets in a car to make a journey they might reasonably make without it, they are choosing to poison their neighbours a little bit more for their own convenience.
Saturday 17 July 2010 8.14pm
Zappomatic wrote:
99p Stores at Elephant usually has Kimberleys

That's why I love this site - thanks, will check out this week!
Saturday 17 July 2010 10.53pm
Rambling Phil wrote:
If you use a ruck-sack, carrying a big shop is easy and you get to strengthen your stomach and core muscles.

O.K. Phil I get it, the exercise I get walking to and from the restaurant when I go out to dinner is good for me, particularly as I'm in a sedentary occupation, but if I take your advice, buy a rucksack and go to the store by bus and return carrying 30-40lbs of shopping I can be really ripped!
Valid point about the unnecessary car journeys, but unavoidable in my case, my wife is very biased, as in "buy us this, buy us that!"
Sunday 18 July 2010 7.09am
Nice one, Tom.

Unfortunately, as anyone who's seen me will attest, carrying the shopping isn't enough to get me to 'ripped'. I'm just slightly crumpled.
Sunday 18 July 2010 6.10pm
Tom Pepper wrote:
Waitrose at Whitecross St. The Barbican, EC1 is geographically half the distance from The Elephant than the one at Russell Sq.

No it isn't. From E&C main roundabout, Google Maps says 2.4 miles to Whitecross Street and 3.0 miles to Brunswick Centre.

Tom Pepper wrote:
Naturally your chosen method of transportation would be a deciding factor.

Indeedy - TfL says 22 mins on bus then 7 mins walk for Brunswick Centre, and 24 mins on bus then 10 mins walk for Whitecross Street - so not much in it really.

Handily, the 68/168 stop is easily accessible from the side exit of the Brunswick centre, and the 68 drops me almost outside my door, so that would be my route of choice.

I tend to shop little and often rather than doing a big weekly shop, so taking it on a bus is not a problem for me.
Sunday 18 July 2010 9.18pm
You are right mogoot, I should never have said geographically in my original post.
Both places are approx. 2.5 miles from The Elephant.
No doubt I was considering the ease or otherwise of reaching either of them in my taxi.
Straight up Newington C/Way-BHS-London Bridge-King William St.-Moorgate for Whitecross St., but being barred from London Rd.(buses only), the easy back doubles route for Russell Sq. from The Elephant entails Newington C/Way - S/Wark Bridge Rd. - Borough Rd. - Lancaster St. - Webber St. - Barons Place - Waterloo Rd. - Waterloo Bridge - Kingsway - Southampton Row, then around Russell Sq.
Whitecross St. wins hands down, but that doesn't excuse my saying that it was geographically closer, abject squirming from yours truly.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions