London SE1 community website

Berkeley Homes development at Potters Fields

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 14 of 20
Wednesday 2 June 2004 10.42pm
There are some interesting letters in the Karen O keeff's proof of evidence

Here are the

VIEWS FROM THE UNICORN THEATER

The Unicorn theater management is obviously concerned about the plans that are being proposed for potters fields site

Because our theater for children will be opening in tooly street in October 2005 ,and we would hope that whatever is provided on the site provides amenity for familles who are visiting the area and for the people who live in north London

BUT WE ALSO THINK THIS SITE IS OF MUCH MORE THAN LOCAL IMPORTANCE .it is right next to one of London's most iconic and best loved land marks Tower Bridge .Its position at the very hart of London and the fact that it is the only significant piece of undeveloped land between London bridge and the tower bridge makes it of supreme importance

IN BRIEF THIS IS A WORLD CLASS SITE ,THAT DESERVES A WORLD CLASS ATTRACTION

We believe that it is essential that the opportunity provided by potters fields is not wasted ,but is used to expand and compliment this existing ribbon of visitor attractions.

WE ALSO BELIEVE THAT IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT THE OPERATOR S OF WHATEVER NEW DEVELOPMENT IS PLANNED ARE INVOLVED FROM THE FIRST DESIGNS .We have all too many new facilities which have been build without participation of the people who have subsequently run them.

Inevitably this Leeds to incorrect decisions being made ,which prove expensive to amend a later stage or missed opportunities to make the whole project more successful in the long run.

WE ALSO BELIEVE THAT THE CONTENTS OF A BUILDING ARE AT LEAST AS IMPORTANT AS THE ARCHITECTURE ITSELF..

Wednesday 9 June 2004 3.22pm
Just to remind people that local people are presenting their objections at the Inquiry tomorrow morning. It would be very helpful if as many local residents as possible turned up so that the Inspector knows that it is not just one or two people who hate the idea of this development. To remind you the inquiry is being held on the eighth floor of Bankside House, Sumner Street - just behind theTate Modern.
Thursday 10 June 2004 10.02am

I bet when the inquiry was suspended a few weeks ago for two days .that,that was deliberately to stop Simon Hughes from addressing the inquiry on the closing day ,before polling day.
Thursday 10 June 2004 10.28am
Hope it goes well Alan - look forward to the report back on the Forum if you're able.
Thursday 10 June 2004 11.55am
Thanks Andrew
I have been put back to tomorrow now. I attended this morning until the first break. Berkeley Homes' Cousel is really aggressive with Southwarks witnesses - unneccessarily so in my opinion. I would love to cut him down to size tomorrow but I never went to acting school! Will fill you in after the event.
Thursday 10 June 2004 5.41pm
Thanks Andrew
I have been put back to tomorrow now. I attended this morning until the first break. Berkeley Homes' Cousel is really aggressive with Southwarks witnesses - unneccessarily so in my opinion. I would love to cut him down to size tomorrow but I never went to acting school! Will fill you in after the event.
Thursday 10 June 2004 6.34pm
Allan

I agree

Mr Village is a big bellowing town crier .and his companion that sits next to him sneers and frowns at the southwark witnesses.

Luckily southwark don't need to sneer and frown to win there case.

I haven't been for a week now .

I hope a lot of people turn up tomorrow despite the untimely crashing of this forum.
Thursday 10 June 2004 10.11pm
Thanks MIckey - I'll do my best!
Friday 11 June 2004 9.52am

Alan,

You need not worry.

Planning inspectors are not impressed by the posturing of QC's.

Their job is to look at the relevant evidence. This may include ignoring some by objectors which is not within their remit, but also will exclude bluster and "Matlock" style camp acting!

You would not believe some of the rubbish they have to listen to from both sides, but rest assured that whilst the planning system is not a well oiled machine, the actual inquiry and subsequent decision will be properly considered within the law and evidence.

That is not to say that you will always get the result you want or think is right, of course!

Regards,

Loafer
Friday 11 June 2004 10.11am
mickysalt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I hope a lot of people turn up tomorrow despite
> the untimely crashing of this forum.

Michael,

It may just be that I'm having a bad week, but I have to say I found this a really odd comment.

James H took the forum offline to carry out a much needed upgrade, that we've all been bugging him about for ages. There are messages all over the board which make this clear, so I find it hard to believe you didn't know that when you posted your comment.

There is probably never a good time to take a board like this one off line, but James and his team run this board as a valuable and free service, not for any individual's convenience and I, for one, am grateful for it. Maybe, just maybe, you should be thanking him for giving you a space where you can air your views and engage in debate with others on issues that interest you - rather than bitching about a day's downtime ?
Current: 14 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions