London SE1 community website

Berkeley Homes development at Potters Fields

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 16 of 20
Saturday 12 June 2004 10.53am
Well done Alan. Very well put, particularly the pertinent points about the disadvantages unfunded community groups face at enquiries, about Ian Ritchie and about the almost total lack of support locally. Don't do yourself down about any little omissions, you have put a lot of effort into this on behalf of others and I'd like to thank you, as no doubt would lots of others.
Saturday 12 June 2004 6.00pm
Micky and Jo
Thanks for your kind comments. Lets keep our fingers crossed!
Saturday 12 June 2004 9.37pm
Yes - congratulations again - a really good statement!
Monday 14 June 2004 7.56am

Alan,

I'll be honest (and you may not want to hear this), it's a good statement let down by the "vast cost" and "Ken Livingstone - mad" elements.

With regards to the first, the cost is a factor of the due process of law, and I think by objecting to the form of the inquiry in such a way, you are insulting the inspector and denegrate your later evidence.

With regards the second, this is entirely inadmissable and therefore irrelevant to the inspector. However, it means that, when he is writing his report, the main thing he will remember is not that you used to work and live by and on the river, but that you thought the London mayor was mad.

All IMHO.

Regards,

Loafer
Monday 14 June 2004 8.12am
Thanks Loafer - one can always learn fron one's mistakes!
Monday 14 June 2004 6.08pm
Alan pionted out that the inspector is visiting Ian Riches other projects in Paris Leipzig and London

As Ian rich has never designed a large scale housing development before I don't think there relevant

If Ian riches other developments do have a relevance its that they are embaresingly(for Berkeley homes)the sort of custom designed (cultural use)buildings that southwark council would rather have on the site.

Having listened to the cases from both sides

I don't see how the inspector can possible recommend that this scheme gets the go ahead

Most of Berkeley's arguments were complete fabrications ,

like the nonexistent height transition ,

and the absurd premise that 19 story tower blocks were derived from what is historically in keeping with the conservation area .

or that a tall building right next to tower bridge is no more damaging than a tall building in the distance.

Im sorry not even the dodgeest second hand car salesmen from Romford would attempt to distort reality to that degree

and the worried look on Berkelys faces (fidgeting and looking to the floor )as southwarks witnesses present there case suggests they know it themselves .

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 14 June 2004 6.10pm by mickysalt.
Wednesday 16 June 2004 10.38am
I'd be interested to see the outcome but don't be so sure on it - few people eating humble pie on their view of the cases put forward and the alleged 'fabrications' and reactions to an extremely strong case for the opposition.

Let's wait for the fat lady to sing until any conclusions reached...
Wednesday 16 June 2004 11.22am
I noticed that when ever southwark counsel were doing well in the inquiry the inspector would look shifty and turn his head away from the public area,it was like he couldn't look at the general public when
The gapeing holes in Berkeley's case were being revealed.

Im sure the inspector is under pressure from central government to support the Berkeley side.

The problem is the actual evidence points the other way.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 16 June 2004 11.26am by mickysalt.
Friday 18 June 2004 4.33pm
Just read in yesterday's Evening Standard the the Chairman of CABE was effectively told to resign after a report into conflict of interest.!!!
Interesting!!!!!!!!
Friday 18 June 2004 4.56pm
You can read The Guardian's report on this here.
Current: 16 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions