London SE1 community website

Berkeley Homes development at Potters Fields

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 20 of 20
Wednesday 11 May 2005 7.11pm
That's interesting and about time.

The inspector can't possibly give it the go ahead.

And the department of the deputy priminister will have to take some time to analyze the result.

And there is only one acceptable result.

Its complete rejection.

I'v just been looking over my notes from the inquiry

They're actually rather good and accurate .

In case anyone needs a reminder of what was said.

Http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/ican/C1851?s_type=1

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11 May 2005 7.25pm by mickysalt.
Wednesday 11 May 2005 7.47pm
Get Real. The work schedule of the DPM is such that it will give scant attention to most of the projects that are put before it. The process of public consultation and appeal is loaded in favour of the commercial side [the developers] who always have the clout to commission 'expert' opinion in their favour. Opinions of 'the public' are patronised - but eventually it seems, hold very little sway. It's a game loaded in favour of commercial / political interests all round.
Wednesday 11 May 2005 8.38pm
The work schedule of the DPM is such that it will give scant attention to most of the projects that are put before it.

I can imagine that is true in most cases.

However this development is to controversial and there are to many things wrong with it ,they won't be able to just push it through with out looking at it.
Wednesday 11 May 2005 9.19pm
People may want to consider making a request under the Freedom of Information Act.

If you haven't already got a copy, you could ask for the Inspector's report. You could also ask ODPM (or whatever the department is now named) for all material they have received on this issue. Make clear that if they are not prepared to disclose copies of the material itself, you want them to supply you with a list of the documents (including e-mails and faxes) they hold on the subject. Be prepared to challenge refusals, first by asking them for an internal review of the decision, and then by complaining to the Information Commissioner.

Making an FOI request is easy. Just write to the Deputy Prime Minister saying, "This is a request under the Freedom of Information Act. Please supply me, as soon as possible, with........."

For a slightly more fulsome guide on how to use the Act, download this PDF from the Campaign for Freedom of Information.

Details of ODPM's approach to Freedom of Information here.

Or course, you may also want to repeat this request to Southwark Council, whose FOI webpage is here.
Wednesday 11 May 2005 11.53pm
Andrew I just did what you said

They'll probably send it to me third class post.

You don't already have a copy do you
Thursday 12 May 2005 8.45am
Yes Yes you are all quite right. The DPM office has instructions to pass ANYTHING as long as it looks like housing. THe developers have all the advantages, they can "pay" for their permissions (I'm not saying that it's in used notes in brown envelopes...more like promises of campaign support and such things). They can wheel in all these experts (who also get paid let's not kid ourselves) who cost an arm and a leg per hour, something we at MCH couldnt possibly afford but St. George had a legal team of about ten people including a QC...that day's appeal must have cost them THOUSANDS - but they wouldnt even notice. St. George went into a huddle with the Mayor the week before the appeal and mysteriously he withdrew his objections. What went on, I leave you to speculate. But I also wrote to the Mayor demanding to know what happened under the F.O.I act, and a HUGE pile of paper has just landed on my desk. Will let you know if it is enlightening. Meantime, DO NOT ASSUME BECAUSE A DEVELOPMENT IS PREPOSTEROUS THAT IT WILL BE DISALLOWED!! We made that mistake at MCH.
Thursday 12 May 2005 9.53am
Southwark Green Party is also making representations to the UDP Inquiry regarding Potters Fields - on May 23.

James Hatts Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On a related note I understand that Berkeley Homes
> are due to give evidence re. the Potters Fields
> site at the Southwark UDP Inquiry on Tuesday 31
> May.
>
> Editor of the London SE1 website and SE1 Direct
> newsletter
Thursday 12 May 2005 7.47pm
I don't think its wishful thinking ,

I just know that if London hosts the 2012 Olympics, sites like this will have to be re evaluated.
And I cant believe that that re evaluation process won't continue regardless of the out come.

For an unused peace of land its in a dream location. And it would be an act of criminality
To let this opportunity be squandered.
Current: 20 of 20

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions