London SE1 community website

Shirt cleaning that doesn't individually wrap each shirt in plastic?!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 28 July 2010 12.47pm
Hi there
Can anyone recommend a cleaners in SE1 (London Bridge/TBR area) that does a shirt laundry/pressing service but does not individually wrap each shirt in plastic before returning them?! I find it hugely wasteful and damaging to the environment to throw away 5 large plastic bags every week.
Thank you so much
Wednesday 28 July 2010 2.07pm
I've used Magic Touch dry cleaners for a couple of years, 169 New Kent Rd (5 mins walk along from Bricklayers Arms just past the BP garage). Nice people and until recently was 1.50/shirt for 10... but now 2. They put one big plastic around the whole lot, not individually.
Wednesday 28 July 2010 5.34pm
I go to Principles on Crosby Row. It's 9 for 5 shirts. They bundle shirts up in batches of three or four and put a plastic wrapper over each bundle.
Monday 2 August 2010 7.43am
We use Immaculate in Great Suffolk Street parade - 8.99 for 5 shirts and we just ask them not to individually wrap each short - they are happy to oblige. Maybe that is all it takes - just ask the cleaners not to individually wrap - after all it is in their interest too as saves them money! PS we stopped using Haywards on Bor High St as they put shirts into a presser and pay no attention to button down collars etc - ruined several of ours, plus crease goes all down sleeve and onto the cuff!. Immaculate hand iron everything!!
Monday 2 August 2010 12.26pm
I use the guys who run the newsagent/general store on Bermondsey street next door to Pussy Willow. 5 shirts for 8 and their opening hours are good for us (8am til 9pm).
Tuesday 3 August 2010 10.57pm
I use the place next to The Miller pub on Snowsfields. It's 7.99 for 5 with 1 wrapper around the bundle. It's open all day on Saturdays as well I think
Wednesday 4 August 2010 3.01pm
Thank you everyone for the help!
Wednesday 4 August 2010 4.44pm
Does anyone have any similar recommendations in the Waterloo area?
Wednesday 4 August 2010 5.02pm
I used the chap on blackfriars rd last time i needed shirts done ( not very often), cant remember the price but shirts were all in one, he also got red wine stains out of white shirts.

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions