London SE1 community website

Would you like to join a Borough book group?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Tuesday 3 August 2010 8.54am
Thanks to everyone who's emailed to say they're interested in coming along. Hopefully I can gather enough members from around the Borough to keep the group alive.

If anyone else would like to know more details, send me an email: asmith at gbp dot co dot uk

Thanks,
Adam.
Sunday 12 September 2010 9.17am
AdamES - humble apologies for not spotting this thread earlier, and shame on you jackie rokotnitz for suggesting we really don't need this.

of course we do! there's millions of books in the world, and the current se1 bookclub only chooses one each month, so that means there's nine hundred thousand.. well, anyway, someone else can do the maths!

AdamES, please keep us posted about the next one
Tuesday 21 September 2010 2.57pm
AdamES,

your book club is excellent and myself and other SE1ers enjoyed the evening while discussing the book!

We are looking forward to the next one.

Sidi
Tuesday 21 September 2010 9.35pm
Thanks Sidi - I had fun too.

Looking forward to the next one. Anyone else who's interested should email me to stay in the loop as the group is organised over email.

Happy reading all!

A.
Monday 15 August 2011 9.41pm
AdamES wrote:
Thanks Sidi - I had fun too.
Looking forward to the next one. Anyone else who's interested should email me to stay in the loop as the group is organised over email.

Happy reading all!

A.

Hi there, is this group still going?
Tuesday 16 August 2011 7.09am
OOoooh Chustler..shame on me? But I havent seen you at the Se1 Book Club for an age..Anyway, I am all for lots of book clubs, have nothing against them on the contrary. Pity more people dont read more! I also have another (private) book club with a friend of mine, just the two of us. What did you read at the Borough Book Group? Suggestions are the best. I'm just ploughing through the whole Booker Long List..so far The Sisters Brothers and the new Sebastian Barry the best.
Tuesday 16 August 2011 8.49am
Hi ilovedrinkingtea,

The book group is indeed still running. We meet on a Monday evening at a local pub every 5 or 6 weeks. There's usually around 5 to 8 of us, and always plenty of fun discussion. Recent titles include (in answer to Jackie's question, too):
In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy
The Bottle Factory Outing by Beryl Bainbridge
A Week in December by Sebastian Faulks
Notes on a Scandal by Zoe Heller

Hope that gives you an idea. If you'd like to come along to the next meeting, send me a private message with your email address and I'll add you to the email group. Unfortunately, I don't think the pub serves tea, so you have to have a beer or wine instead ;)

Cheers!
Adam
Tuesday 16 August 2011 10.01am
My extraordinarily garbled last post got gremlins...somehow that's not what I wrote exactly. ANYWAY, your list sounds great - personally I've read all the books on it, because I tend to read things hot off the press - I read reviews and download to my Kindle instantly. But not everyone is retired like me and has time to read two or three books a week.
Which Pub do you use?
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions