London SE1 community website

Barclays Cycle Hire

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Current: 11 of 11
Thursday 27 January 2011 11.09am
TAK wrote:
Same here - I use them almost every day despite the fact that I have my own bike too. I think the ease and flexibility it offers is why I use it. I hardly ever use the tube nowadays but at the same time I also stopped walking - except from one empty docking point to the next that is.
I hope the two new additional two docking stations currently proposed for the reworked 'southern roundabout' at Elephant and Castle will be approved soon and built.

hear hear
Thursday 27 January 2011 4.07pm
ADT wrote:
So - another five months in, what are people thinking about the bike hire scheme now? Faults ironed out? Success in terms of transport/general progress for London?
I am very much a casual user but I like it, as a user.

With my non-user hat on (which I wear the majority of time) I like the fact that it is there as an option and that I see plenty of people out on them. Based on the very non-scientific test of "the-number-of-people-on-bikes-I-think-I-see-on-my-walk-to-work-without-actually-formally-counting-them" I reckon it has increased the number of cyclists, presumably poaching some journeys from buses/tubes, which can only be a good thing.

I expect it is costing me less money than other aspects of TFL as well - even if it makes no money costs of 140 million over 6 years out of TFLs annual 9 billion seems like good value, and the received wisdom that is wikipedia declares it expected to be the only TFL system to make a profit.

I'm a casual user, I like the flexibility of the odd use in lieu of tube, bus or cab (when work would be paying) but the docking points round my office are always full so I commute by my own bike, which is far faster, lighter, more comfortable etc.

Talk of it making a profit is a nonsense, no one knows what it costs to operate as the contract is confidential (so TfL insists). The revenue is far lower than expected (323,545 in the first three months) and I doubt it's covering its operating costs, let alone making a return on the investment.

I do object to the principle; bus fares are going up along with all TfL fees while one form of transport is disproportionately subsidised. Particularly as it serves a predominately affluent group who could afford to pay a fare price.

Make it the same cost as a bus ride and I'd be much happier about it (and use it no less).

It also winds me up no end that by my workplace we have 15 docks put in without a thought and my four year moan to get some bike racks in the street goes unheard... I can only dream what could have been done for London's cycling infrastructure with 140m and this level of political support.

The best thing is that more people are cycling - the roads are safer and hopefully more will complain about the terrible infrastructure we have to use.
Friday 1 April 2011 12.25am
Fantastic... and I had thought the Boris 'n' Arnie story was a wind up!
See today's news story here
Tuesday 28 June 2011 1.55pm
Long shot, but if anyone found my keys still in the Harper Road/Falmouth Road dock this morning, let me know!
Tuesday 28 June 2011 1.59pm
you should also try posting on www.borisbike.co.uk
Tuesday 28 June 2011 4.53pm
@Andrew - The serco people are actually rather lovely, I had my keys back from them a few weeks after leaving them in a dock. Hope you do to.

If they are handed to the police they will pass them to the operator who can look up your name and address from the key number.
Tuesday 28 June 2011 5.30pm
i found keys in the dock near to my flat so i phoned barclay cycle hire.
They said i was to hand them in to the nearest tube st. maybes try there.
Tuesday 28 June 2011 5.50pm
If anyone left keys in the dock outside 123 Bankside, I handed them in to their reception. Seemed to make sense as they appear to be the ones who mostly use them.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Current: 11 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions