London SE1 community website

Barclays Cycle Hire

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 10 of 11
Thursday 26 August 2010 10.11am
I suppose it was meant to happen sooner of later. After using the scheme almost everyday since it started, I had my first tumble off a bike last night and left a bit of DNA on the road.

It's all thanks to a cab who thought that turning right at an intersection when the light for the opposite traffic is green and then stopping in the middle of the road with finally seeing me (I am 6'1 with the sadle as high as possible - so not sure how he could have missed me) is a good idea. I used the brakes but, as others may have noticed, the bikes skid when you do that hard and the wet road didn't help.

Results: a pair of trousers **** and a bleeding knee... and I can't really cycle today as the wound hasn't dried yet, so had to take a bus. :(

I think the cab stopped a few metres off but am not sure. I just picked myself and the bike up and moved on...
Thursday 26 August 2010 10.29am
A black cab? Welcome to the reality of London cycling, zefrog!
Thursday 26 August 2010 11.29am
A grey cab but, yes, one of 'em :)
TAK
Thursday 26 August 2010 12.56pm
Sorry to hear - hope it heals quickly.

I try to avoid getting caught in the rain on my bike as I have no mud guards and wearing glasses makes it tricky to see with all the water drops accumulating.
It always feels like the mood on the road gets progressively more agressive the worse the weather conditions are.
Tee
Friday 27 August 2010 7.29pm
Just tonight i had a cabby on Tooley St pull out from parked and do a u turn, whilst chatting on his mobile, as i rode up along side him. Eejit!
ADT
Thursday 27 January 2011 9.10am
So - another five months in, what are people thinking about the bike hire scheme now? Faults ironed out? Success in terms of transport/general progress for London?

I am very much a casual user but I like it, as a user.

With my non-user hat on (which I wear the majority of time) I like the fact that it is there as an option and that I see plenty of people out on them. Based on the very non-scientific test of "the-number-of-people-on-bikes-I-think-I-see-on-my-walk-to-work-without-actually-formally-counting-them" I reckon it has increased the number of cyclists, presumably poaching some journeys from buses/tubes, which can only be a good thing.

I expect it is costing me less money than other aspects of TFL as well - even if it makes no money costs of 140 million over 6 years out of TFLs annual 9 billion seems like good value, and the received wisdom that is wikipedia declares it expected to be the only TFL system to make a profit.
Thursday 27 January 2011 10.12am
Best not to overtake at junctions.
Thursday 27 January 2011 10.18am
The bikes have become my main (virtually only) means of transportation. I love them.

Cabbies however are a menace. They behave as if they are alone on the roads.
Thursday 27 January 2011 10.57am
Totally agree.. using the scheme near daily and its been fantastic.

A few teething problems here and there, but I don't think that's unexpected.
TAK
Thursday 27 January 2011 11.08am
Same here - I use them almost every day despite the fact that I have my own bike too. I think the ease and flexibility it offers is why I use it. I hardly ever use the tube nowadays but at the same time I also stopped walking - except from one empty docking point to the next that is.

I hope the two new additional two docking stations currently proposed for the reworked 'southern roundabout' at Elephant and Castle will be approved soon and built.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 10 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions