London SE1 community website

Barclays Cycle Hire

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 3 of 11
Wednesday 4 August 2010 11.50am
I've got my own bike, but there are still times when it's more convenient to use a hire bike for short journeys around central London

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 4 August 2010 12.44pm
connie wrote:
Is Barclays going to sponsor it forever?

"The deal, which is worth up to 25m over five-years, also includes the Barclays Cycle Superhighways with the first two of twelve planned cycle routes set to launch in the Capital on 19 July."

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/newscentre/archive/15665.aspx
TAK
Wednesday 4 August 2010 1.28pm
connie wrote:
With all the troubles and fines, wouldn't it make more sense to buy your own bike?
By the way, why does not the scheme have a proper name like Velib in Paris, Bicing in Barcelona or Bixi in Montreal. Is Barclays going to sponsor it forever?

I too thought will Barclay sponsor it forever, and what happens if say in a few years down the line another company will sponsor it?

I agree, it's strange we don't have a proper, simple, catchy short name.

I'm still waiting for my key to arrive even though I have a bicycle myself but think I could use this scheme frequently and would have already used it over the weekend twice. At first I thought I don't need it but realised it could be useful for one way trips to shops when buying large or many items (bus or whatever back), in really uncertain weather (will or won't it rain later on?), going into town for a night out, any trip involving uncertainty what you do / where you'll be later on, or even if it rains in the morning but is sunny after work...
And what's best, pay as you go it costs 1 for 24hr access as long as I don't use it for more than 29 minutes. Is cheaper than the bus or tube journey home and actually the nicest way too in reasonable weather.
Wednesday 4 August 2010 2.24pm
TAK - Make sure you only get one key on your account though. Each key is charged for the same access period if you use one key.
My partner got 3 keys with the 1 day access for when people visit - she will now be charged 3 a day even if only one key is used.
Wednesday 4 August 2010 2.25pm
I hope it does settle down but there do seem to be quite a few teething problems - the live map on the TFL site isn't updating properly - it tells you there are anything between 0 and 20 or more bikes available for particular docking stations within 1-2 minutes of refreshing the screen. Whilst it may be fast moving with people coming and going, it was doing this at 1am this morning so not sure there is that much activity at that time!
Wednesday 4 August 2010 2.28pm
I think the bikes are a great idea, particularly for short journeys but surely there was some way to include a helmut?!

I cycle everyday and wouldn't dream of not wearing a helmut on most London roads, especially if I wasn't familiar with them.
Wednesday 4 August 2010 3.39pm
ssimps01 wrote:
TAK - Make sure you only get one key on your account though. Each key is charged for the same access period if you use one key.
My partner got 3 keys with the 1 day access for when people visit - she will now be charged 3 a day even if only one key is used.

Only if you activate Auto Renewal:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/15024.aspx

Doesnt sound very well thought out though does it!
Wednesday 4 August 2010 4.05pm
That is true truthmonkey, but then you can only use the 1 day membership for one day if you don't activate autorenewal.
TAK
Wednesday 4 August 2010 4.37pm
ssimps01 wrote:
That is true truthmonkey, but then you can only use the 1 day membership for one day if you don't activate autorenewal.

As I ordered my key I was recommended to tick auto renewal.

Apparently 1 access lasts 24 hours - precisely. Therefore system would allow me to pick up another bike for a new journey say 23hrs 45 min after first pick up. If i then were to cycle for 20minutes I would be fined as I'd gone over my 24hrs access by 5 minutes. With auto top up this would not happen.
Also (how I understood it) without auto top up I would have to go online and buy a 1 access each time before using a bike which did sound like too much hassle.

I also enquired then about swapping bikes as only the first 30 minutes are free.

I was advised to dock bike after 29minutes making sure I don't go over the 30 minutes allowance. Then I would need to wait for 5 minutes at the docking station allowing the system to close my previous journey and only after such a break the follow on journey would be classified as a new one.
If I was to literally just swap bikes without break it would be billed as one continuous journey costing money.
Surely waiting for 5 minutes is not an option, so it really is for journeys less than 30 minutes.

Anyway, I was hoping there would be information in the 'welcome package' when I receive that key I ordered on the 27th......
Wednesday 4 August 2010 7.27pm
Get a life people. The whole thing is a brilliant idea that we should all be proud of in our totally fantastic city whether we use it or not. How many other cities on the planet have this, have Streetcar, have a great tube network etc? Not many. There will be billing problems - they will be sorted out. Who sponsors it - who cares? Who tries to take the credit - Barclays, Boris - who cares? It's here, it's real. It's part of our transport infrastructure. Stop carping on about the details. I've been billed twice - so friggin what? I don't like the gearing - it'll get sorted in time if it's a big deal. Happy cycling.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 3 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions