London SE1 community website

Barclays Cycle Hire

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 4 of 11
Wednesday 4 August 2010 10.00pm
The best thing is, of course, we will get some proper cyclists on the road. Have you ever seen a cyclist in Paris or Amsterdam trying to emulate the Tour de France? No, there they just enjoy going from A to B faster than walking but enjoying the view too.

Compare that with the people bent over their pedals at the lights, waiting for them to change ( if they haven't jumped them in the first place).

Let's have more slow cycling in London. Thank you Boris, and whatever bank it is.
Wednesday 4 August 2010 10.43pm
'Proper cyclists'? Not so certain of that, I've passed two today who gave me cause for concern; the first a guy with an umbrella sticking out from the rack on the front, which I didn't notice until I was overtaking, forcing me out further than intended into the road and a young woman wobbling behind a bus looking very uncertain of herself. I think the scheme is an excellent idea but I am concerned at how road aware some might be.
Thursday 5 August 2010 9.00am
My account has been suspended again, and the fine is back.

I know spacemaker thinks this is carping about the details. But teh details are I can't use the bikes after paying for the service.
Friday 6 August 2010 1.05pm
I had my first go today.

Hampton street rack was full of bikes - good.
Hampton street rack would not release bike - bad.
All bikes flashing red - bad.
Called - on hold - bad.
Call center - "key fine, docking station is fine", still not working - bad.
Walked to Ontario Street, bike there, unlocked! - Good!

Cycled to Mayfair...

I found it slow and tiring relative to my own bikes - the gearing is way off - no good for hills or flat. Hard to get a decent riding position (I'm 6'2). Felt very unsafe as unable to accelerate quickly when pulling off or changing lane.

Docking Station at destination is listed as having space, it does not - bad.
Same at the next one - bad.
Ten minute walk back to the office from docking station that does have spots...

So, all in all pretty rubbish. I'll stick to my bike, cheers.
x00
Friday 6 August 2010 1.45pm
Went out with a friend to try it last night at the Borough Road one. Didn't work. The kiosks couldn't even tell me the state of other stations. Walked to the LSBU end of the road and didn't work then. So completed the triangle to Ontario Street. The call centre seemed to be unaware anything was wrong. Nothing worked. Eventually took a bus up to Bankside.

Tried at Bankside Mix on the way back and I got a bike beofore the thing stopped working again. Very useful for two of us and of course I've been charged. The call centre this time was aware the whole system was down and would come back up in 30 minutes. So we gave up and went home.

Teething problems indeed, but not as bad as getting my account suspended. Though I suppose there is still time for that!
Friday 6 August 2010 2.50pm
I had had my account reactivated and then suspended again yesterday - same story since last Saturday.
My partner has created an entirely new account in that time.

So I have asked them to cancel my account entirely and refund my membership. Then I will attempt to create a new account.
Saturday 7 August 2010 10.29am
thomas wrote:
whilst I was googling 'problems with bike hire website'
(haven't been able to access their website over past few days, although this won't dampen my enthusiasm!)

UPDATE!
If you use o2 broadband and can't access the sign-up or login pages (like myself) then the problem could be solved for you here:
http://bit.ly/aTMWc4
So, although tfl/bike hire have had problems with their website (as confirmed via a phone call and yes, they are very polite and helpful), the main cause for me has been the above issue, as this is now working!
Saturday 7 August 2010 1.44pm
Hampton Street still out of action according to TfL site. Grr.
Saturday 7 August 2010 6.00pm
so what happens if you have a cycle hire account but u don't have the 150 in your card (bank)? and they messed it up and charge to 150 for late fee(lost/non return). i am guessing your bank is going to charge you as well. what a mess this can be, just cos the bikes are not locking in place or bad system.

i have a debit card just for the internet and dont keep much money there i only top it up when i need it. ( been scammed 2x on-line)
Saturday 7 August 2010 11.52pm
....And here I am aching for it!.....
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 4 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions