London SE1 community website

Barclays Cycle Hire

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 5 of 11
Sunday 8 August 2010 12.39pm
after reading all this and thinking riding would be a good way to get around between the pubs rather than cabs and tubes.

i thought, havent got time to muck about chasing fine repayments, docks that are broken , etc

so

I went down evans and got a bike for 160 , locks for 60 and even a helmet for 30

better plan i think at the moment.
Sunday 8 August 2010 8.16pm
bigphil wrote:
so
I went down evans and got a bike for 160 , locks for 60 and even a helmet for 30

better plan i think at the moment.

I've got my own bike, but I've just signed up for the hire bikes. The main advantage is that the BorisBikes are everywhere, whereas my bike is wherever I left it last. Treat them as a better alternative to buses or taxis. Hop on. Hop off.
Monday 9 August 2010 9.49am
I've abondonned my old account that still continues in suspension limbo while they try to refund me, and I am now using a key on my partner's account.

I have retruned to the opinion that the scheme is great.
The low gearing is actually perfect for cycling a mile to work in a suit without getting all sweaty.
Monday 9 August 2010 4.09pm
Ok...this is getting silly.

This morning I used my partners key.
I was especially careful to note the green light upon docking...but the system says that I apparantly went to a completely different part of town and I have been charged 1 for a 30 min journey.
Oh, and my partner got 3 keys before it was made clear that each key is charged 1 when you use one. So that was a 4 cycle ride. I may just get a taxi tomorrow.

I was hoping my first experience was just bad luck.
Monday 9 August 2010 4.23pm
You'll probably find that the phantom journeys will disappear from the website
of their own accord.

This morning it falsely said I had spent the weekend cycling round the West End at a cost of 50, but when I checked later the record was correct and up-to-date.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 9 August 2010 4.27pm
There is a new forum at http://www.borisbikes.co.uk/ full of brickbats and bouquets for the scheme.

I don't wish to distract people away from the excellent forum here, but it is worth a read for more in-depth issues.
Monday 9 August 2010 6.42pm
I find that the first page of transactions on the account are full of random journeys made by others but the third tab has the right list. I phoned them and got a temp who has been recruited to take a number so someone can call back - that was 8am, still waiting! But really enjoying using it, have't actually been charged wrongly yet...
Tuesday 10 August 2010 11.11am
Luke wrote:
I phoned them and got a temp who has been recruited to take a number so someone can call back

When all of the trained operators are busy there is an "overflow" call-centre who take your details for a callback. Many have reported that calling back until you get a Cycle Scheme callhandler is more successful.
Tuesday 10 August 2010 4.37pm
truthmonkey wrote:
When all of the trained operators are busy there is an "overflow" call-centre who take your details for a callback. Many have reported that calling back until you get a Cycle Scheme callhandler is more successful.

While the bikes are really great (apart from the silly shape of the carrier thing at the front and the fact that the gears are not hard enough), the admin systems behind the scheme I really rubbish.

I registered on the first after looking forward to the scheme since it's been announced in 2007 and have had all sorts of problems (see details on my blog here and here). The call back system from the overflow call centre is not good in my experience. You have to give all your details everytime (which they should have on their systems!) and they tell you you will be called back within 24hrs. In my experience the 24hrs can stretch anything from 3 days to 6 days...

I have used the bikes most days last week however to commute to work and really love the freedom they provide. I felt trapped when I had to get back on a bus.
Tuesday 10 August 2010 5.09pm
Saw in the Evening Standard yesterday that the system has cost Barclays 25m and the taxpayer 140m - for 6000 bikes and 400 docking stations. Hope there's some money still left in the kitty!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 5 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions