London SE1 community website

Barclays Cycle Hire

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 6 of 11
Tuesday 10 August 2010 5.56pm
anyone else finding it annoying that you can only register with Mastercard or Visa? I only have Maestro and AMEX.... arse
TAK
Tuesday 10 August 2010 6.14pm
I agree, looks like the call centre doesn't really return calls as I'm still waiting for a reply from last Friday and Yesterday morning.
Still waiting for my key to arrive and am starting to develop serious symptoms of Barclays Cycle envy each time one passes by........
Tuesday 10 August 2010 6.49pm
zefrog wrote:

While the bikes are really great (apart from the silly shape of the carrier thing at the front and the fact that the gears are not hard enough), the admin systems behind the scheme I really rubbish.

I've found the carrier perfect for strapping in a backpack or even a carrier bag full of groceries - my route home from work includes some very lumpy roads and nothing has fallen out yet. For larger items use the knobs at the top, for smaller items use the ones at the bottom.

Finally the Hampton Street docking station is active again!
Wednesday 11 August 2010 10.09am
Zappomatic wrote:
Finally the Hampton Street docking station is active again!

Wooohooo!!! or perhaps it's not. I tried to get a bike from the Walworth Road and London Road stations today (not bothering with the Hampton one for the mo) and they didn't work. Got on the phone to be told the terminals were rebooting and I'd have to wait one hour... Whose idea is it to reboot the system at peak time!?

I had to take the bus and it took me more than twice the normal time to work... not impressed at all.
Wednesday 11 August 2010 2.51pm
Great site for tracking the usage patterns at your local docking station(s):
http://cyclehire.tomtaylor.co.uk/stations

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 11 August 2010 3.07pm
OK, I hope BCH are reading this!!
Firstly I am a very keen cyclist, and actually ride a bike from Paddington to Victoria every day, but also ride many miles at weekends. I was desperate for this scheme to work, and like the flexibility to pick up a bike in the evening, if I left my bike at Paddington in the morning due to the heavy rain!
BUT...

I signed up, got a key. First day, picked up bike from Paddington, no problem. Rode to Victoria, fine. Could park in nearest station, no biggy. Parked at one 400m away. All good so far.

2 days later, go to local station. Key not working! Try several bikes, no luck. Others arrive and take bikes I had already tried, so not the pod! Phone BCH, wait 10 mins, get through to overflow call centre. Tell him its fine, I will get tube so dont worry about taking details.
another 2 days later, think maybe I hadnt set up recurring payment properly, so pre book another 24 hours and check auto-renewal. Go to station, doesnt work! Call BCH, watch others taking bikes as chap on phone keeps telling me to 'give him a second here' Tells me it must be the station. Nope, others are taking bikes. Then tells me must be because I got one red light would have to wait 5 mins before trying again. He is convinced its the station though, so asks me to WALK TO THE NEXT ONE, just so he can test it!!! I said, dont worry, I will get the tube (again)
Next day (yesterday) try again, no luck. Call BCH, end up in overflow call centre. I tell them I want a new key, they say I will get a call within 24 hours (we are over 22 hours now, but I wanted a bike then!)
Just called them again, ended up in overflow again, told them no point in me leaving details!
This system needs to be MUCH slicker, so that people who are not occasional cyclists are not put off forever! This is supposed to be using a slick key driven system, god knows what will happen when the credit card route kicks in!!!
Wednesday 11 August 2010 3.17pm
My travails may be over.

I have just had a new key hand delivered by someone from tfl, after they had tested that it worked on two separate hubs.

I sympathise with paulfitzpatrick, and anyone who gets through to the main call centre. I think they've trained the staff to deal with day to day matters, but not with the "teething" problems the system has had.

I got a secret direct line number to a team who seem to know what they are doing. Well, I mean it took they a week to fix my problem, and I am still waiting on a refund for a 45 overpayment - but they have been falling over backwards to try and help get things right. Fingers crossed.
Wednesday 11 August 2010 3.27pm
I have been blogging my tales of woes and have posted links in the comment sections of relevant articles on various influencial sites and my trackgin system tells me that some or all of those posts have now been seen by people at the GLA (several), the LDA, the Association Of London Government and finally TfL themselves. Hopefully someone among all those people is in a position to kick some arse...

fingers crossed.

As for getting through to the call centre, there seems to be 2 solutions: press 0 everytime you get a recorded message (that seemed to be working for me this morning) or call 02084437220 and ask for Mel (tip from borisbikes) - haven't tried that one.
Wednesday 11 August 2010 4.17pm
Good to see that SE1 is leading the way:

1st most active docking station, with 149 bikes passing through in the last 24 hours.

Source http://cyclehire.tomtaylor.co.uk/stations/194-hop-exchange
Wednesday 11 August 2010 4.20pm
truthmonkey wrote:
Good to see that SE1 is leading the way:
1st most active docking station, with 149 bikes passing through in the last 24 hours.

Source http://cyclehire.tomtaylor.co.uk/stations/194-hop-exchange

and 5 south London stations in the top 10!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 6 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions