London SE1 community website

Barclays Cycle Hire

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 8 of 11
Friday 13 August 2010 2.29pm
Think of it as a statement rather than a bill. Each transaction appears, then there will be a corresponding payment. For example:

Annual fee 45
Annual fee paid -45
Journey 1
Journey paid -1

Balance 0 (ie 46 billed and 46 collected)
Saturday 14 August 2010 9.19am
my experience so far ...
if you can get the call centre to answer :
they never give their real name
they never call back
they never fix your complaint.
the paper map lies eg there are no stations at southampton street/strand nor at australia house/strand (there are many more)...
why fill all the racks not leaving space to dock?
when will the LSE dock work?
and so on ...
teething problems - my a**e!
Saturday 14 August 2010 11.58pm
My glass is half full.

I registered straight away and didn't mind that they didn't activate my key properly so it didn't work on the first day. I tried 3 different docking stations on my way home from work but was impressed that they called me in the Saturday to fix it and my key worked day two.

That was wierd, I cycled all over town and people might as well have wolf whistled and blown the bike kisses, as a regular cyclist I've never experienced so much positive attention.

When I used Velib in Paris it took 3 days before I managed to find a docking station that let me register and they were well established at the time.

Of course there's going to be teething and lots of people are moaning as if this whole thing should have gone like clockwork from the beginning. Surely the reason everything is being phased in gradually is because teething issues are anticipated so if you have signed up early then expect there to be teething issues and accept them when they happen to you without having a rant.

I don't mind that my key never works on the first few bikes I try, I just persevere until I get one that does.

I don't mind about the rubbish gears and the hefty design I'm just delighted that I have another travel option to get me from A-B in central London without having to go under the ground or wait for a bus.

I do cycle regularly anyway and agree with the point that my bike is wherever I left it but Boris bikes are everywhere, so easy and convenient.

I think the pro's massively outweigh the cons of the whole thing and don't care if it was Ken's idea that Boris delivered-it's here, its fantastic, I love it and the teething issues could be a lot worse.

Bonus, I've never done spinning down the gym. There's no need now - Boris bikes are so hefty it's a work-out just using one.
Monday 16 August 2010 11.24am
I'd agree, I'm finding the system reasonably effective - generally doing two journeys a day, to and from work. So far I haven't been mis-billed (touch wood) and all journeys have been under half an hour - and I've reduced my journey time by 2/3! Also the docking stations seem to be loosening up - I was fine but I've seen some people struggling. The only close run thing is when there have been very few bikes at docking stations. More than once I've provided the only working bike to a stand!

Only another 23 bike journeys instead of bus journeys and it will start paying for itself!

And an inch of the waist so far!
Monday 16 August 2010 1.37pm
I've had all the usual problems of incorrect charges - including 150 actually taken from my bank account, daily suspensions requiring phone calls to reactivate, and phantom journeys. Serious questions (and fines?) should be asked of Serco and those responsible for the implementation, and Boris should come clean on the full extent of the "teething" issues

...BUT all now seems to be resolved - for me at least - and I'm 100% behind the scheme. Its a big step forward for enjoying our city.
Monday 16 August 2010 2.14pm
Gordon OKR wrote:
My glass is half full.
I registered straight away and didn't mind that they didn't activate my key properly so it didn't work on the first day. I tried 3 different docking stations on my way home from work but was impressed that they called me in the Saturday to fix it and my key worked day two.

That was wierd, I cycled all over town and people might as well have wolf whistled and blown the bike kisses, as a regular cyclist I've never experienced so much positive attention.

When I used Velib in Paris it took 3 days before I managed to find a docking station that let me register and they were well established at the time.

Of course there's going to be teething and lots of people are moaning as if this whole thing should have gone like clockwork from the beginning. Surely the reason everything is being phased in gradually is because teething issues are anticipated so if you have signed up early then expect there to be teething issues and accept them when they happen to you without having a rant.

I don't mind that my key never works on the first few bikes I try, I just persevere until I get one that does.

I don't mind about the rubbish gears and the hefty design I'm just delighted that I have another travel option to get me from A-B in central London without having to go under the ground or wait for a bus.

I do cycle regularly anyway and agree with the point that my bike is wherever I left it but Boris bikes are everywhere, so easy and convenient.

I think the pro's massively outweigh the cons of the whole thing and don't care if it was Ken's idea that Boris delivered-it's here, its fantastic, I love it and the teething issues could be a lot worse.

Bonus, I've never done spinning down the gym. There's no need now - Boris bikes are so hefty it's a work-out just using one.

Basically this post totally sums up my views on it so far:

- I've had some teething problems which were slightly annoying. But overall hugely impressed and glad its arrived in London; and

- I dont believe any reasonable person expected the scheme to be implemented without major hitches and issues early on. There were always going to be problems. If they iron them out over the next 3 months then I'll be happy.

The fact that all the docking stations were made, installed, wired in throughout London, software designed and made, call centre created, bikes designed and built, staff recruited, etc, all within only 9 months, is actually pretty impressive.

Christ, it took them about a year to dig up and resurface BHS didnt it?.... BCH is a huge project in a short space of time.
TAK
Monday 16 August 2010 2.29pm
Finally this Sunday cycle hire returned my calls or email.
Turns out for some reason my key wasn't sent (so nothing wrong with Royal Mail this time) so hopefully I have it on my door matt tonight.
Tuesday 17 August 2010 8.54am
On the news just now, they had to transport a few bikes from waterloo station as there was not enough docking stations? as I only heard the tail end of the item, is that correct?
Tuesday 17 August 2010 12.33pm
yes there and Kings Cross-the docking area was full so people just dumped them-not sure how that effects their payment!!
Tuesday 17 August 2010 6.37pm
At last they've refunded the extra 48 they took. Very pleased now! Love leaving work in Victoria at 5.30 and getting home before the 6 o clock news and for very little money.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 8 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions