London SE1 community website

Kid friendly pubs and are there any ?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Friday 27 August 2010 7.54pm
Tom Pepper wrote:
Beetroot is quite right, the original query was are there any kid-friendly pubs, and poor old DJ shot from the lip again and got herself in deep doo-doo.
Personally I don't like pubs that have karaoke, or sell one brand of everything à la The Angel and The Anchor Tap but wild horses couldn't make me get into a an online debate about it, I hope that the original poster finds somewhere that suits and that BSB and DJ don't have a shootout at the OK corral!
Now, let's make nice and change the subject.

Thanks for those calming words Tom Pepper; I've often been put off contributing to a thread here for fear of snipers, not that I usually offer anything controversial, but it does make me think twice. I hasten to add I think this forum is more often than not, welcoming and open minded. It's just those odd occasions when for whatever reason spikes appear.
Saturday 28 August 2010 9.51am
Hi ,
Perhaps I should've asked does anyone know if there is a gardening club that I could join as i'm busy changing my slabbed concrete wasteland into a green oasis and you can never know too many green fingered geniuses for tips on propagation etc ?
Or
Where is the best tattoo artist around here ? I have a cloak of ivy that needs finishing off since I moved from Cornwall before it was completed .

Then when i had wangled my way in to some new club / meeting place etc I could sing out loud "Who wants to go for a beer " ?

Cheers all

Nancy
Monday 6 September 2010 7.50pm
We have spent many a sunny Sunday afternoon in the beer garden of The Woolpack on Bermondsey Street: can't be there after 6 with kids and the garden is contained so no chance of them running off! No kids menu but ours usually share a main course or have a couple of sides.

And the Britannia on Kipling Street has a side garden that is open to the road: again no child menu but lots of choice (including a wonderful fish finger sandwich). Again not sure of timings with kids but we've been there late afternoon on a Sunday and it's been ok. Also have a fine selection of whisky there. And no gardening club but there's a fine Stitch and Bitch group that meet twice a month ... (thread for that in socials section!)
Friday 10 September 2010 10.20pm
I may be missing something. I'm childless by choice, but why take your kid to a pub?

Surely they'd have a far more interesting time in a park or playground? Spare the poor children, as well as the adults in the pub that want to enjoy a quiet pint.

Is this a case of wanting your cake and eating it too?
Saturday 11 September 2010 2.46am
deek wrote:
I may be missing something. I'm childless by choice, but why take your kid to a pub?
Surely they'd have a far more interesting time in a park or playground? Spare the poor children, as well as the adults in the pub that want to enjoy a quiet pint.

Is this a case of wanting your cake and eating it too?

As I said in my 1st post , I had just moved to the area and did not know anyone and wanted to find a place I could sit and have a glass of wine and maybe meet some new friends .
As for wanting my cake and eating it , just because I have a child it doesn't automatically exclude me from doing the things you " childless by choice " people do .
I was asking people for ideas of possible venue's not your personal views on where I should or should not take my son .
Saturday 11 September 2010 8.42am
As others have said on earlier pages...

If you want to debate the rights and wrongs of kids in pubs, please start a new thread in Chatter.

If you've got a helpful answer for Inked Mink's query, then post it here.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 22 September 2010 1.11am
Wow there's some harsh stuff posted here!

Anyway, as a mum of 4 year old twins I can thoroughly recommend "Browns" on Shad Thames whether for a chilled out drink by the river (they do half price cocktails Mon-Weds early eve so some of us Mums go after the park with the kids) or for eating - great kids menu (kids eat free Sunday lunchtime if adults have a main.) The staff are all really child friendly - no disapproving looks if your kids run up and down the deck or spill their coke - very important as mine usually do this! Prices are excellent as you can choose a la carte, set or bar menu's.

Inked Mink, if you fancy going out send me a PM, I'd love to meet you.
Sunday 26 September 2010 8.22pm
am loving this debate, can't believe there are so many people who feel the need to state that they dont think kids should be in pubs, surely there is room for both.....chill out!
Sunday 26 September 2010 10.45pm
Maybe I should start " The Bad Mum's Club " ( Dad's welcome to so as not to be sexist ) for those who after a frazzled or non frazzled day would like to sit and sip whilst the kiddies chase dinosaurs or what ever round some pub garden .
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions