London SE1 community website

Elephant and Castle Leisure Centre Project Consultation

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 5 of 8
Monday 16 May 2011 8.25am
One wonders how many of the Council DO read this Forum. It surely should be required reading.
Monday 13 June 2011 2.11pm
As per James' latest report, it seems like they have seen the sense of a 'doon street' solution to the Leisure Centre site. I think the churchyard could have great potential as more of a 'village green' with housing and business around it, particularly now the open space plans for the shopping centre have been sunk.

Still disappointing (and a bit unbelievable) that they can find room for any squash courts in this complex, or the regeneration as a whole.

Really good challenge architecturally though, linking strata, Drapers, 360, the Tab and the E&C centre together - look forward to seeing the designs, more than a little worried that it's Make working on it, rather than a more context sensitive practice.

I wish we had a regeneration masterplan in place to oversee this...
Monday 13 June 2011 8.09pm
"I wish we had a regeneration masterplan in place to oversee this..."
Ten years passes like a day (sigh)
TAK
Monday 13 June 2011 11.06pm
graham wrote:
"I wish we had a regeneration masterplan in place to oversee this..."
Ten years passes like a day (sigh)

One just wonders what our local councillors think about this issue...
TAK
Monday 13 June 2011 11.12pm
surely if suddenly a 30 story tower gets built on the site there should be sufficient funds to build the squash courts? Or maybe we could have two floors of squash courts with shop frontage onto the Elephant with 28 Story residential above?
I really feel if we're cutting corners now, the Elephant will pay for it long term....
Tuesday 14 June 2011 12.29am
we're chopping of limbs Tak, the corners were cut way back...

Yes, bizarre and unjustifiable that they can't be accommodated, so far as I can see.

Our councillors don't seem to be concerned about the masterplan as they are kidding themselves that the old one is relevent/the lend lease one will do. Sadly neither is the case IMHO.
TAK
Tuesday 14 June 2011 12.41am
jamesup wrote:
we're chopping of limbs Tak, the corners were cut way back...

Thanks Jamesup - you put if far better than I did!
The fact that after in excess of 10 years of masterplaning we now are lacking an overall masterplan says a lot about competence of people in key positions.
Tuesday 14 June 2011 12.49am
It's not just the squash courts though - it's an entire sports hall too. We're losing 4 badminton courts / an indoor football pitch / a martial arts venue in this development too. They appear to be mostly solidly booked out most evenings to me. And after the Colombo centre's indoor sports facilities were also lost to make way for a gym. The pool is great but it's unfortunate we had to lose the rest. Another concrete example of how years of delay is catching up with the regeneration plans.
Tuesday 14 June 2011 11.51am
The report to cabinet on the disposal of half the leisure centre site to Lend Lease has been published:
http://moderngov.southwarksites.com/mgConvert2PDF.aspx?ID=20068

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 14 June 2011 12.02pm
Having read that report, it concerns me that this is being done in this way.

It's a separate site and risk would be diversified if it were developed by another developer. There isn't even a line of site between the leisure centre and the new heygate.

They talk about lendlease as financially infallible - that clearly isn't the case, their financial failure in Stratford had to be bailed out by the ODA.

There was no attempt to assess the value of the development by the Market, their's only the valuers' word that we're getting a good deal for the land.

If the centre and the leisure provision was developed together, you could accommodative more leisure space in the lower floors of the building.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 5 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions