London SE1 community website

Loud Scooters

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Tuesday 24 August 2010 12.17pm
I've also heard these little b******s a lot recently along Grange Road and Alscot Road, and also seen one riding through Spa Gardens on a couple of occassions.

I've never managed to catch a number plate as I can't actually see them from my flat with trees obscuring the road but would welcome any attempt to put a stop to it!
Tuesday 24 August 2010 12.48pm
I saw one of these kids, too. Last night on Alscot at about 7.30. What an idiot he looks revving with his L-plates, He was struggling as he tried to turn it around at the Grange Road end before heading towards Spa Road.

I just laughed at the time, but I can see how annoying it would be were it more persistent.
Tuesday 24 August 2010 1.39pm
I can sympathize but also remember how I used to do this when I was seventeen, completely oblivious to the concept of the local community, mind you that was out in the country but no less irritating probably. Vain hope perhaps but if they are politely made aware of the trouble it causes...?
Tuesday 24 August 2010 2.07pm
Loud exhausts are illegal, over a certain level.

If this is as persistent and localised as everyone's saying, why not just report it to the police? And if nothing is done, keep on reporting it (and take it up with your councellor).

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 24 August 2010 2.57pm
Hm, well, I hardly want to say I'm 'relieved' I'm not the only one getting irate at this ;-) Please, all affected get in touch with Graham and/or police!
Tuesday 24 August 2010 3.51pm
isnt the noise similar to a bee trapped in a bucket so annoying
please be carefull when approaching these youths did you see the garry newlove program how easy it can go wrong.
Tuesday 24 August 2010 3.59pm
I just spoke with the local community wardens.
please email or pm me with any info
Thanks
Wednesday 25 August 2010 7.34am
The same offender was out and about overnight, first at about 1 AM, then non-stop from 2.15 to 3 AM when I finally gave up and decided to close my window. Retaliation, maybe?

Again, what recourse is left?

1. I'm half asleep and I don't want to have to get up and call police and try to be coherent

2. If he sees a marked police car he will just stop making so much engine noise anyway [seemed to happen last Friday when it was going on and I called police - they heard/saw nothing]

3. He goes too fast for me to see his registration number.

Is it too much to ask for an unmarked patrol for just a few nights? :-/

Very grumpy with lack of sleep this morning *sigh*
Wednesday 25 August 2010 12.15pm
Every sympathy with your problem, but no sympathy with not calling the police.

I'm sure councillors are very useful people, but imho they should come into play AFTER you've called the people who are actually paid to deal with the problem.

If it's as loud as you say, then it's illegal. Call the police. If they don't do anything, THEN take it up with a councillor.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 25 August 2010 12.42pm
Erm.. Ivanhoe, if you read back through the thread you will see that Elle called the Police back on Friday night - it was only after they failed to deal with it that she posted here and Graham got involved.

Thanks for your sympathy though, I'm sure it's much appreciated...
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions