London SE1 community website

Changing of Blackfriars station name

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Friday 3 April 2015 11.18am
Tom Pepper wrote:
bigphil wrote:
Im not worried if the name does change but surely its not something MPs should be bothering with.
I also agree with nelson on "whats our area called"

we came up with southwark village

this centres on the station
and is the cut, union st as north border, gt suffolk st as east border, st georges circus as southern border, and waterloo road as western border.

if bermondsey can have a village , so can we!

cheers

phil

This fad for attaching 'village' to an area amuses me, it is often dreamed up by estate agents, to promote a feeling of neighbourhood intimacy for prospective clients, or residents of an already nice area attach the word in the hope that the area will then be viewed as even nicer.
A similar example of this is when property developers were seeking a way of raising the prices of old houses in Battersea, they marketed them as being in South Chelsea.
When I was much younger I lived in Bermondsey, not the 'half a crown' side that is Bermondsey St., it wasn't much more than a one and nine side then, (confused? ask your old mum), but the two bob side, the Jamaica Road end of Southwark Park Road.
Now, I live in Rotherhithe Village, which bears as much relation to a village as Pittsburgh PA.

Ahh Bermondsey Old Town :)
Friday 3 April 2015 12.57pm
Good idea about the Like Button Karen 1...often thought that. In our street don't know if we live in the Village...or Neighbourhood as was suggested by someone or other a few years back..will now have to search the site..
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions