London SE1 community website

Woolfson & Tay bookshop opens in Bermondsey Square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Monday 13 September 2010 2.39pm
Bel Ludovic wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
Erm, I think it was very well reported on this site a few years back, that the unit in Empire Sq (which the developers promised would be a restaurant, as part of their sales pitch for the flats) was never even built with the necessary waste/water/etc services for it to be used as a restaurant.
So I'm not sure why it's desirable or necessary to run down people who live at the BHS end of Long Lane rather than at the B St end....

Rather an odd accusation to make. Who exactly was running down people who live at the BHS end of Long Lane rather than at the Bermondsey Street end? Certainly wasn't me. I was talking about the differences between the two recent redevelopments at either end; I didn't mention anything about people, nor did I imply that the aforementioned differences were down to differences in the people living nearby.
Bel. It was in the original post. It's not all about you.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 13 September 2010 4.18pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
Bel Ludovic wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
Erm, I think it was very well reported on this site a few years back, that the unit in Empire Sq (which the developers promised would be a restaurant, as part of their sales pitch for the flats) was never even built with the necessary waste/water/etc services for it to be used as a restaurant.
So I'm not sure why it's desirable or necessary to run down people who live at the BHS end of Long Lane rather than at the B St end....

Rather an odd accusation to make. Who exactly was running down people who live at the BHS end of Long Lane rather than at the Bermondsey Street end? Certainly wasn't me. I was talking about the differences between the two recent redevelopments at either end; I didn't mention anything about people, nor did I imply that the aforementioned differences were down to differences in the people living nearby.
Bel. It was in the original post. It's not all about you.

Yes, I realise now which bit you were referring to. Oops. Sorry!
Monday 13 September 2010 5.16pm
I live closer to the BHS end of Long Lane and find the Bermondsey end far more interesting. Even the Empire Sq tesco is only useful for emergencies.
Why hasn't the main Empire Sq unit been divided into smaller units after all these years if no-one is interested in the whole unit?.
Amazing how easily some people become emotional and defensive.
Monday 13 September 2010 6.30pm
phoney wrote:
I live closer to the BHS end of Long Lane and find the Bermondsey end far more interesting. Even the Empire Sq tesco is only useful for emergencies.
Why hasn't the main Empire Sq unit been divided into smaller units after all these years if no-one is interested in the whole unit?.
Amazing how easily some people become emotional and defensive.

You have some answers in the above posts - or perhaps address your query to the developers / owners?
Tuesday 14 September 2010 12.47pm
To get back to the bookshop - I'd like to add my welcome to the others posted above. Great to see it, hope to use it a lot. Quite like the minimalist decor, by the way. Just hope it survived some of the sticky little kids' fingers I saw grabbing those white cushions at the opening!
Tuesday 14 September 2010 3.33pm
you know, sometimes I wonder why I read these threads... I was convinced I was going to get useful insights and opinions on the new Woolfson & Tay bookshop. Things like their choice of stock, the ambience, the opening hours, the staff, their approach to ordering in local books ..... just the usual really

;o)
Tuesday 14 September 2010 3.54pm
Apart from a really interesting book selection, I also liked their non-book gift items. And for what it's worth, I disagree about the interior - I like the fact that it's bright and light; the books are highlighted and I can see how it will help integrate the gallery space. Cakes looked really delicious but I can't report on taste - at least not yet!
Thursday 21 October 2010 11.47pm
Dear friends,

as I am a recent resident of the area, I was surprised to see such a huge space on the ground floor of the empire square south completely empty. Now, I understand it has been like that for years. Has nobody suggested anything to the developers, are the residents indifferent to this? Even if they were to put a saloon for expensive cars it would be much better than an empty miserable space.. Luxury cars always sell.

Regarding the bookshop in bermondsey square, is a very good and welcomed opening..I feel this community needs art and culture to fill in between lanes of flats.... It does not matter if in the past a bookshop went wrong.. things need time to complete a transition. Even Notting hill was very different twenty years ago. Who could guess that, if you see the area now. Resident need to be positive and to promote and support their neighborhood.

Wishes to all!

Orione
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions