London SE1 community website

The Shard - noise nuisance

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 4 of 10
Friday 24 September 2010 7.02pm
Every morning, usually before 7am, I walk past the place and I find it extremely quiet. I find the air conditioning unit from Guy´s hospital more unbearable.
I am looking forward to the completion of this amazing building and am very grateful to the politians(even Livingstone) for bringing such an iconic building to SE1.
Friday 24 September 2010 9.42pm
serge wrote:
Every morning, usually before 7am, I walk past the place and I find it extremely quiet. I find the air conditioning unit from Guy´s hospital more unbearable.
I am looking forward to the completion of this amazing building and am very grateful to the politians(even Livingstone) for bringing such an iconic building to SE1.

Extremly quiet because they're all in Starbucks having a break, from working all night...its 10.30pm and extremly noisy, loud fog horn sound, so annoying, I have not slept for the last two weeks...!!! the only nights they dont make any noise (or they dont work) is Saturday and Sunday (midnight to 7am)...!!!
Saturday 25 September 2010 4.45am
I walk past the place in the afternoon and at other times. I have never noticed the noise and I am not death!
You should go and see the hotel nearby to see how affected they are. Their customers must be really disappointed!
As it has been suggested, you could also ring Southwark noise control. They have always been very helpful. You should be able to sleep at night!
Monday 27 September 2010 8.56pm
Thank you to those of you that have offered helpful advice and reassuring support. Special thanks to Councillor Denise Capstick who passed on my observations to the relevant people at Southwark Council.

Today, the council informed me that, "As works have reached over 50 storeys, the 24 hr concreting works appear to have impacted on a wider perimeter, assessment were made last week and further concrete pumping and delivery through the night has now been ceased."
Monday 27 September 2010 9.07pm
I had noticed it seemed to be getting louder, which I thought was odd at first. My neighbour on the north side of the building near the Rose was being disturbed by it. I walked past at 2am recently and it was like a giant having his teeth drilled.
Well done for getting it sorted. I'm impressed.
Tuesday 28 September 2010 8.48am
I wouldn't be too sure about "Getting it sorted".

The concrete core has reached the point where it has to undergo a reconfiguration, I think you may find that the night-time concrete pouring resumes when the core starts to climb again in a couple of weeks.
Saturday 13 November 2010 9.21am
Isn't this story slightly unfair
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/4938
when it says

'Despite the measures taken, local residents have still been disturbed by night-time noise from the construction site.'

without mentioning that the problems were dealt with quite swiftly?
Saturday 13 November 2010 3.42pm
boroughpaul wrote:
this reminds me of people who live near heathrow complaining about noise from planes...its not really that important an issue folks!

bp..if they were to build a runway at your front door I suspect it would be important. If construction of the shard were to stop at a reasonable hour we likely wouldn't be having this discussion. It seems a lot of people are being inconvenienced for nothing more than to benefit a developer.
Saturday 13 November 2010 7.17pm
So are you still being disturbed by it, deek? It hasn't been heard from here since MR MC's last post.
Tuesday 15 February 2011 10.14am
3.30am this morning banging away....this is quite ridiculous...if I can hear it in Leathermarket Street and it disturbs me I can't think what its like closer by.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 4 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions