London SE1 community website

The Shard - noise nuisance

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 5 of 10
Wednesday 16 February 2011 7.05pm
urbanite wrote:
3.30am this morning banging away....this is quite ridiculous...if I can hear it in Leathermarket Street and it disturbs me I can't think what its like closer by.

It's relentless, and right through the night.
Monday 7 March 2011 1.20pm
Leathermarket JMB has organised a meeting this week with Mace and Southwark's noise team:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/whatson/event/10600

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 7 March 2011 11.29pm
Good luck. The Noise Team aren't notoriously helpful when it's just a bit of local broadcasting without a licence. They aren't going to upset the Quatars.

Having said that I have every sympathy. Our lives have been made hell by developers for some time and it's set to go on for years.

Fight 'em on the beaches!
Tuesday 29 March 2011 11.05pm
Just out of curiosity, do the people on here who live nearby and are disturbed by the noise have double-glazed windows?

If so, is it still bothersome?
Wednesday 30 March 2011 12.22pm
Sealed unit double glazing....and yes its still "bothersome" especially in the middle of the night when its more "really annoying"
Wednesday 1 June 2011 12.46pm
The noise level at the Shard is getting louder and louder each day. Last night the construction workers were banging away at the steel from midnight to around 3am...its ridiculous, I cant sleep, I just twist and turn and now its affecting my work..!!!

I have double glazed windows, but still the noise is unbearable...

I'm going to contact Southwark noise control team, to see what they say...!!!
Monday 6 June 2011 9.49am
James Hatts wrote:
Leathermarket JMB has organised a meeting this week with Mace and Southwark's noise team:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/whatson/event/10600

I do hope they will raise this http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/4938

How can you win awards for noise reduction when it's clearly irritating the locals?!

Ridiculous.
Friday 10 June 2011 7.04pm
I accept to a certain extent that we're going to suffer noise "pollution" as a consequence of choosing to live in a (massive, busy, growing) city like London. Particularly in this area which seems to be one continual building site and with developers and planners determine to cram in as much as they can. Luckily I live far enough away (Long Lane) to be affected by the Shard (it's those pesky noisy neighbours instead). I've found Southwark's Noise Team to be quite good and effective in the past. But, if they're not helpful - surely there are Human Rights issues at stake? Has anyone explored this as a potential solution?
Monday 13 June 2011 4.35pm
Hate to compound the issue but pretty much the minute the Shard is completed they start on the Station and "The Place" or whatever it is called. Should be finished around 2018!! Earplugs anyone??
Monday 13 June 2011 5.16pm
Having lived near just off Southwark street for the last 13 years or so, I can't remember the last time there weren't any building sites: the building on the corner of Southwark and Great Guildford Street, the Blue Fin building, Neo Bankside, the works behind the Tate Modern, now that building on Lavington Street... And the list goes on.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 5 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions