London SE1 community website

The Shard - noise nuisance

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 6 of 10
Tuesday 14 June 2011 12.17pm
I'm not against the redevelopment and regeneration taking place...I just don't see why it happens at 3am...I bet that wont be going on when the station is redeveloped.
Bea
Friday 17 June 2011 1.02am
Mr MC

I suggest if you really want to do something about the noise ( and they should have informed you about this so that any objections could be made ) then look at EU law.

It states quite clearly that you are entitled to a decent nights sleep. The people building this are making vast profits at your expense and I suggest you hit them where it hurts - you need to go higher that Southwark Council as the planning department seems to be operating like some rogue state at the moment.
Friday 17 June 2011 5.37am
Bea wrote:
The people building this are making vast profits at your expense

what? are you suggesting the shard is publicly funded? i assure you it is not
Friday 17 June 2011 7.53am
I think the implication of 'at your expense' is at the expense of a decent nights sleep, rather than monetary expense.
Friday 17 June 2011 8.53am
urbanite wrote:
I'm not against the redevelopment and regeneration taking place...I just don't see why it happens at 3am...I bet that wont be going on when the station is redeveloped.

Now let me see, 1000 lorries full of demolished brickwork another 1000 for the excavation of foundations, when when will they cart everything away? in the daytime when there is all that traffic or at night when the streets are empty? hmmm! I wonder? Do the council want the project to happen? yes (just like the Shard) will they object on behalf of the residents? no(just like the Shard).
Friday 17 June 2011 3.02pm
Hi regenerate...all the lorry stuff happens during the day...its the building work on the Shard itself which seems to be going on at night (as well as day) at all hours.
Tuesday 21 June 2011 9.51pm
The bit I don't understand is that there are laws stating that building work shall not start before 8am and shall cease by (can't remember but it's 5 or 6pm - certainly not 3am!!!) Monday to Friday and 8am to 1 or 2 pm Saturday and not at all on Sunday.
That, as I understand it, is the law.

How are the Quatars getting round it? Loads of money? Why aren't the noise team stopping the 3am thing?
Tuesday 5 July 2011 12.10am
Its 1am and the banging continues. I have been in contact with the Principal Environmental Protection Officer for Southwark, however when he contacted the MACE Environmental Project Manager at the Shard, he just put the blame on the Network Rail maintenance teams, who have been working out on the tracks to the east of London Bridge station.

I have managed to get video footage of workmen up on the high level of the Shard, being extremely noisy at 2am in the morning (I can see the Shard from my property). There is also noise coming from the tracks at the station, which means getting any sleep is now impossible!!

My next step is to contact the World Health Organsation (WHO)for advice on noise levels in the UK at night. It seems between 7pm and 11pm its fairly quite, I donít understand why they cant do their banging and drilling during these hours, rather than at midnight through to 3am...!!!
Wednesday 6 July 2011 2.57pm
I thought that I'd read somewhere that late night noisy working was not allowed on the lower levels, due to the disturbance, but that once above a certain level they claimed that the noise couldn't be heard on the ground so they could make as much noise as they like - this seems ridiculous as the higher they go, the less buildings around stopping the noise from reaching houses/flats further away at higher levels, so the sound gets further, and causes more disturbance.

I could be wrong though.
Wednesday 6 July 2011 3.04pm
I could be wrong though.

Sound travels up.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 6 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions