London SE1 community website

The Shard - noise nuisance

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 8 of 10
Monday 18 July 2011 9.39pm
Urbanite, Im sorry to read that you suffer from the same noise nuisance as me.

I recently complained to Alan Blissett, Principal Environmental Protection Officer at Southwark Council, about the night-time construction noise and the working outside permitted hours. His response was that the council has rarely been contacted during the past 3 years of construction except for a brief period between August and September 2010 which were all investigated and further preventative measure put in place where Shard was identified as the source.

I am surprised that the frequency of complaints is described as rarely as I have heard of many people complaining but maybe just not to him nor to Southwark Council. Therefore, may I suggest that if you have trouble in future contact Mr Blissett on [email protected] or 7525 5766. He is approachable, responsive and informative.
Bea
Sunday 24 July 2011 3.50pm
These people will make a noise because they can get away with it as most people don't complain.

There is a statutory time that building works can take place and they have to have permission to do so outside of those hours THAT IS THE LAW. If you call out the noise team outside of the evening deadline and it continues they can close down the site. I know this - I have done it myself.
The Planning Dept and Environmental Health do not always communicate . There are also EU laws which state you are entitled to a nights sleep. Stop moaning about it - get your local councillor invited and do something - there are laws to protect you from this and you do not have to put up with it
Sunday 24 July 2011 9.07pm
Am I not right in thinking they have permission to work outside of regular hours?
Sunday 24 July 2011 11.50pm
Clearly
Monday 25 July 2011 7.24am
I BET they've swung some deal to work around the clock. The thing is growing in a "while you watch" manner.
Thursday 4 August 2011 12.53pm
Well last night at the Shard, they were banging away, drilling and talking/laughing very loudly between the hours of 11.30pm and 4am. I managed to video the actions from my Smartphone (1.42am and 2.55am).

I have been in touch with Alan Blissett who did try to put the blame on the construction of the new railway next to the Shard, however I can clearly see the Shard from my property and have managed to take several video clips as evidence.

I know they have deadlines to complete this building, but as I've said before, why don't they start the work (banging and drilling) a bit earlier. I have walked passed the Shard around 8pm and the whole place is dead up until around 11pm, when the whole place comes alive again. I am now in contact with the Neighbourhood Liaison Manager for Mace and the Shard project.

I will keep you updated.
Thursday 4 August 2011 2.51pm
I think it's quite convenient for the Shard workers to keep blaming it on Network Rail etc.

Pass the buck society or what?!
Thursday 4 August 2011 2.53pm
I heard them around 2-2.30am this morning....maybe a Freedom of Information request to SC about what terms they have agreed with the construction companies working on the Shard? My guess is that they have blatently agreed to something which does not take into account the local rssidents' need and requirement for a decent night's sleep and is therfore illegal...but we shall see.
Saturday 27 August 2011 11.49pm
Before I move in....
:-)
do you think I would you be able to hear this noise from a flat on Magdalen Street?
Sunday 28 August 2011 11.30am
Probably, shunting123. Why not ask a prospective neighbour?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 8 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions