London SE1 community website

The Shard - noise nuisance

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 9 of 10
Sunday 28 August 2011 11.36am
It's hard to say. I'm on Snowfields by the Rose and I can't here it. I did at one point when it was extreme but not for a while, when others further away have continued to be disturbed by it. But then I'm on the south side of the building.
Sunday 28 August 2011 1.39pm
I also live on Snowsfields by the Rose, and I can hear it most nights (for the past year). Itís extremely noisy most nights, itís unbearable!!! Last Monday and Tuesday (22nd & 23rd) were awful; they were banging and drilling away at the metal poles until at least 5 in the morning.

I have been informed that Mace have replaced the night Manager with a stronger individual (this was back in July) to ensure that noisy works will not happen during the evening shifts. Although itís not the evening shifts Iím complaining about itís the night shifts (11pm to 5am) and its certainly not been any quieter.

Southwark is now the noisiest borough, recording 13,326 complaints in 2010.
Sunday 28 August 2011 2.27pm
I can hear it from Long Lane most nights.
Sunday 28 August 2011 7.42pm
I had to get up at 4 on Friday morning to lead a conference call.
I needed to close the window so that the noise from the Shard didnít interfere with the call.
(Morocco Street)
Wednesday 7 September 2011 11.02pm
Can I ask if most of you have double-glazed windows?
Thursday 8 September 2011 8.04am
why does that matter shunting123....you don't necessarily want to have your windows shut all night....what is the reason for the question?
cma
Wednesday 14 September 2011 1.56pm
The Section 61 consent in place for the construction of the shard will detail the works, and the method by which they are to be carried out; and the steps proposed to be taken to minimise noise resulting from the works. if these steps are ineffective, the limits set in the consent are being exceeded,or if enough people complain the council can impose more stringent conditions, limiting the works that can be done.

note however that the control of pollution Act section 61 part 9 states
"A consent given under this section shall contain a statement to the effect that the consent does not of itself constitute any ground of defence against any proceedings instituted under . . . section 82 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 ."
namely that if the contractor involved is causing a statutory nusence, a private prosecution may be possible.

note - i am not a solicitor i just happen to have an interest in this area
Wednesday 14 September 2011 3.36pm
I don't hear much. At least not so much that I cannot sleep.

In order for the council to release a statutory nusence notice, they have to come to your flat, and not only to yours, more than once and measure the level of noise, which standard is higher than most of us think...

Try but to be safe I would buy earplugs if this is really upsetting your nights..
Wednesday 14 September 2011 3.40pm
orione wrote:
I would buy earplugs if this is really upsetting your nights..

Why should good, honest, hard working folks be denied the basic right to a good nights kip and have to buy ear plugs?

Nah - keep up the campaign against the noisy Shard louts.
Wednesday 14 September 2011 5.42pm
Read again and report correctly what I said...
Fight is a right sleeping is a need.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 9 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions