London SE1 community website

Dead pubs, fresh bagels

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Wednesday 7 April 2004 8.04pm
Jo - it's on the west side of Tower Bridge Road, south of Manze's and SoBo.

See http://www.bagel-bakery.com for a picture

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 7 April 2004 8.05pm
on the same side as those establishments, 50 yards nearer the roundabout.
Wednesday 7 April 2004 8.47pm
But they clearly don't open to 11 Mon-Thursday as they did - they appeared to have shut up shop just after 7.30 on Monday as I walked down the full length of TBR still feeling like a drowned rat after the storm, convinced that a bagel would restore my sense of wellbeing.

I had dashed for a pint into the nearest pub during the storm - on the basis of this one and only visit I think that The Pommeler's Rest (Wetherspoons near the bridge) has more of "pub of the undead" about it! Is it any livelier during holiday periods - the large children's area suggests tourist trap?
Wednesday 7 April 2004 11.06pm
Dead pubs: one of unremembered name on Kipling St which is now flats.
I can see why others might not do so, but I lament the Final Furlong - unlamented by you it may be, Harry, but dont make assumptions about the rest of us. Had many late nights there playing music by candlelight round the fire in the back.

Fresh Bagels: I guess I was lucky to find it open then. Even luckier that, in spite of me discovering I had no money on me after ordering my bagel and apologising profusely, the very nice owner told me that I really shouldn't worry so much, it was not good for my health and no big deal to pop in the cash a week later. The bagel was very nice too, a proper one, chewy on the inside, with a generous filling and good value. As said earlier - use it or lose it and better luck with finding it open!
Thursday 8 April 2004 10.29am
I'll have a word with the owner and tell him about this thread. Maybe he can be persuaded to sort out his opening times. He did say that he was going to open at 8 or 8:30 and close at 4:30 and start opening on a sunday again. Whether he's stuck to that I don't know.

Liliput Hall? Didn't that used to be a boozer?
hat
Thursday 8 April 2004 10.48am
If he was open on a sunday - I would go there regularly - I love bagels. I have had one from there (caught it open when I had a day off)and it was as good as a new york bagel!
Thursday 8 April 2004 11.24am
Hat -
WOW ! As good as one from NYC, huh ? Now that IS a recommendation ! It took me weeks to wean myself off bagels when I came back from NYC !

Gawd ! I can soon see me becoming a regular and piling on the pounds. Still. Always nice to see a well-fed goose waddling up the street, eh ?
Thursday 8 April 2004 11.29am
Maybe if we can drum up enough interest we can persuade him to put his Mum's chopped liver on again. But I won't hold my breath, offal seems to be less and less popular these days.

Mmmmmm offal.
Thursday 8 April 2004 11.34am
Mr. B -

Offal ? You're kiddin', right ?
Thursday 8 April 2004 11.48am
no, why would I joke about a thing like offal?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions