London SE1 community website

Dead pubs, fresh bagels

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Thursday 8 April 2004 11.11am
Dear Ms Unladylike Jo, sorry, I jumped the gun, or rather jumped on the bandwaggon regarding the Final Furlong. I only went in there once and it was very quiet. Playing music seems like my type of pub. A type of pub that is sorely missing in these parts.

As for the Pommellers Rabbie, you must remember it is only an approximation of a pub, like most Wetherspoons outfits. They all seem to lack the X factor. The beer's cheap but you always have to wait ages to get served while some charming Italians try and order food after visiting Tower Bridge. Oh, the charms of SE1.

And the bagel shop. I don't know how he feels about opening on Saturdays, but it would dovetail nicely with the SoBo coffee crowd.
Thursday 8 April 2004 11.20am
Foie Gras, GOOse. Offal in a bagel?
hat
Thursday 8 April 2004 11.31am
I think he's shut friday afternoons, til sat eve for sabbath - it's a proper Jewish bagel shop...
Jon
Thursday 8 April 2004 11.33am
Do you think he'll be open Easter Sunday?
Thursday 8 April 2004 11.41am
The website says closed from 3pm on Fridays and all day Sats.

It also says that he's open Sunday_Thursday from 8am-11pm - but I don't think I've seen it open on Sundays for a long time???
Thursday 8 April 2004 12.05pm
Is it really his Mum's chopped liver?
Thursday 8 April 2004 12.29pm
It never ocurred actually. Maybe it was his Mum's liver. He only served it the once. He then told me that it's difficult to persuade her to do it so.........

no, can't be.
Thursday 8 April 2004 1.52pm
...and it went well with a nice Chianti [sp ?]....

lololol
Thursday 8 April 2004 8.06pm
Wow what a memory Jan has, and thank you to her for stirring up some of mine, playing kiss chase outside the Earl of Derby, as I was not allowed in. (Honest I was a child at the time and not just a thrown out drunk).

Although the Pub on the corner of Griggs place was Samsons, the Earl of Derby was the next road down, which I think is Fendall St or something similar.

In Abbey St, there used to be The George, and The Fleece, The Lilliput on the corner of Abbey Street and Old Jamaica road.

Further down Old Jamaica Road was a Pub which for years stood all alone apart from a bike shop, and was used for the car crash/Fire in which Steve Died and Phil escaped in Eastenders.....what was that called?

I seem to remember a pub that was called "Uncles" (?), on Alice St, just between The Jam Factory and Tower Bridge Road.

Another Fleece on Law St, near the Black Horse.

As for the Beigal shop, yeah it is nice but unreliable for opening times, the man who runs it learnt his skills in one of the beigal shops in Brick Lane, which are both open 24 hours a day, and only 15 minutes away by car. (Spot the midnight snacker).

Oh Well back to Lurking.
Thursday 8 April 2004 9.56pm
Ah, now I know it,
thanks for the picture James, and I have just slapped myself for not noticing the damn great BAGEL SHOP sign!
I must have had gunge on my specs.

I too would use it regularly if it opened on a sunday and I could be certain of the times.

I hope the owner can clarify this for us, after all if you set off in hope of a hot gorgeous bagel then finding it shut would be pretty disappointing, particularly after walking from shad thames.

Thanks guys

Jo
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions