London SE1 community website

Dead pubs, fresh bagels

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Thursday 8 April 2004 10.12pm
Apology accepted Harry - dont worry, I was only teasing you.
Thursday 15 April 2004 12.30pm
Another one, fresh dead too.

I've just walked past the Manor Tavern, Galleywall Road (nr South Bermondsey station) and the boozer is definitely defunct. I went past on Monday and i'm sure it was open then.

Where are we supposed to go for drinkies? stay indoors witha couple of tins?
Thursday 15 April 2004 3.25pm
The pub on Alice Street was called Tropics or something when I first moved into Rothsay Street. It was an over 21s only kind of place and only ever had three people in it. Then it closed and became flats. As it was being knocked about (stories added etc.) the builders revealed a beautiful '30s front, all rounded with cream tiles and it appeared to have been built as The Jolly Farmers (or Garedeners or something).

Talking of which, ever been in The George on TBR? Proper pub. Nice staff. Friendly people. No facility for men's big jobs though. Could almost see Jack Regan in there. Not his regular of course but somewhere he'd stop by for a Double Diamond and a couple of large scotches on his way back from Tower Bridge Flying Squad. The Pagoda used to be a bit like that too. As Harry said, use it or lose it.
Thursday 15 April 2004 3.59pm
Surprise, surprise. I was in The George last night. Sam, the welsh sex bomb, has just taken over from the much loved Aussies Kath and Patrick. Sam's a diamond, but the place can get a bit 'busy' if you know wot i mean.
hat
Thursday 15 April 2004 4.24pm
I'm a bit scared of the George since someone was stabbed to death outside about 3 weeks ago. Or am I being a wuss/tarring pub with undeserved brush?
Thursday 15 April 2004 4.52pm
Not stabbed, he was punched, hit his head on pavement. I told you it got busy at times. But a little old lady frequently drinks there, so it can't be too bad
Thursday 15 April 2004 5.12pm
I too, have supped at The George, it's certainly got the atmosphere that Hartley's lacks.
Friday 16 April 2004 8.59am
Red Cow, Grange Walk. Gone in the last 12 months, I should say, but I may be wrong.

[edited just to point out that I am wrong]

Post edited (20 Apr 04 13:48)

Cider maker, cidermaker or cider-maker?
Sunday 18 April 2004 2.10am
The Red Cow's been closed for at least 5 years; when I moved here (Bermondsey, not Australia - oh, did I mention I'm on holiday?) 5 years ago it already looked as if it had been closed for a while.
Monday 19 April 2004 9.13am
Trinity Arms (soon to be flats, I think), Trinity St.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions