London SE1 community website

Freeview reception

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Friday 8 April 2011 10.52pm
Yes mate, for news I watch the BBC, Sky and RT. I like to Balance out the BBC propaganda with a good dose of reality from RT.

When you watch all 3 takes on a news item, you are nearer to the truth.

For your info, RT has an excellent channel on YouTube, which may be of interest.

Click here.
Saturday 9 April 2011 7.20am
Love Russia today! it interviews great speakers like ron paul gerald celente these
guys never get there say in the main stream media.
Tuesday 28 June 2011 5.59am
It's probably worth doing a 'First Time Installation' from the 'Menu' button once a month as the channels are constantly being re-assigned, added or deleted.

Really launches on Freeview channel 20 and replaces Dave Ja Vu on 2nd August 2011
Dave Ja Vu, Daveís +1 channel, will cease broadcasting on channel 25 at 4am on 2 August 2011 to make way for Really.

Really!, More repeats?
Tuesday 4 June 2013 10.55am
Received a postcard from us? Yes, I did.

https://at800.tv/

Find out what to do next, and how at800 can provide support if you experience problems with your Freeview due to new mobile signals.

This year will see the arrival of 4G on the 800 MHz frequency in the UK. This could affect TV channels on Freeview unless you follow our guidance. Donít worry, we are here to make you aware of the upcoming issue, and help you take any appropriate action at the right time.

How will most people fix the issue?
Most people affected will be able to fix the problem themselves with an easy to plug-in at800 filter with our logo on it, which we will send out up to four weeks before interference happens.
Wednesday 5 June 2013 10.07pm
Yep. Finally got one myself today (posted on this tonight before I noticed this thread). This is despite the problem being complained about to them 2 months ago when after I did some research and hunted them down as the most likely cause of the sudden appearance of the problems. Their claim that they will send out filters up to 4 weeks before interference is seems that actually translates as the reluctant offer of one at least 8 weeks after interference starts.
Friday 7 June 2013 8.17am
boroughbloke wrote:
Yep. Finally got one myself today (posted on this tonight before I noticed this thread). This is despite the problem being complained about to them 2 months ago when after I did some research and hunted them down as the most likely cause of the sudden appearance of the problems. Their claim that they will send out filters up to 4 weeks before interference is seems that actually translates as the reluctant offer of one at least 8 weeks after interference starts.

Did you see this, boroughbloke? - and similar stories in many other papers:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/10102072/Millions-could-lose-TV-signal-as-new-4G-network-switches-on.html

and notice the comment from at800:
'Ben Roome, at800 spokesman said: "We are scaled up for anticipated problems."
"But so far in tests in south-east London, although we have received calls from lots of households, any problems they have been having with their television has not been caused by interference from 4G."'

So they have been carrying out tests in S-E London (doesn't say exactly where) but deny they've been causing any problems!
Friday 7 June 2013 8.40am
...and there's this on their website, dated 10 April:
https://at800.tv/press-releases/freeview-and-4g-at-800-mhz-coexistence-test-in-south-east-london/

Quote 'Approximately 170,000 household and business addresses in parts of Greenwich, Lewisham, Southwark and Tower Hamlets are being contacted directly [in April] to alert them to the test.'
And 'at800 has advised that if youíve not been contacted directly through the post any interference to your Freeview service is unlikely to be due to the 4G test.'

Which seems to mean if you didn't get a card from them back in April it was because they didn't think you were in the area that might be affected by their tests. The cards we're getting now are presumably part of the preparations for the London-wide roll-out, nothing to do with local tests -
https://at800.tv/press-releases/at800-updates-estimate-of-likely-impact-of-4g-at-800-mhz-on-freeview/

I've certainly had no problems yet - an amplified indoor aerial in my ground-floor flat gives an excellent picture even in HD. But judging from at800's publicity it's the amplifier that may cause a problem once 4G transmission starts in earnest, by amplifying the 4G signal as well!
Friday 7 June 2013 6.49pm
It's easy to see where the test are. You can walk down Borough High Street and Newington Causeway and play spot the temporary antennas attached to traffic lights with G4 Mesh written on them.

Interference to my signal started as sson as the tests did. Tests now over reception is back to normal. HD channels were never affected, but BBC 1, 4 and News 24 were rendered unwatchable for much of the time. Having initially not heard anything about these tests that were clearly taking place a few hundred metres from my house I did some hunting about television interference related to Crystal Palace and finally found a link to the at 800 website and finally also knew what the temporaty antennas I'd spotted were all about.

Incidentally, it's pointless contacting the muppets. They are completely unresponsive to emails and when calling them on the phone they flatly denied they were even testing in SE London at all (despite their website clearly saying they were!)
Friday 7 June 2013 7.12pm
Borough Bloke is right BBC channels worst effected
Friday 7 June 2013 7.27pm
I just had my card from them today:/ Is this a new batch being sent out or has mine been on its way since April? I don't watch Freeview much, but there has been more than usual glitches there when I have watched
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions